• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Frankenbird lives (insert maniacle laughter here.....)

sports850

Evening all , earlier in the year while reading a Clive Cussler book I found mention of a turducken and thought that would be an interesting thing , then I found we were having an in-law invasion for christmas so looked a bit further through google and found cooking times etc and here is the end result .

I started with a pre-prepared deboned chicken roll from a local chicken butcher franchise (Leonards) , I figured I was deboning two birds , no need to do a third for practice .... Next was a 2 kg duck , completely deboned (including wings and drumsticks , they were very fiddly getting the bones out while leaving it intact) , opened out and covered with a spicy sausage mince stuffing before being wrapped around the chicken ,

chickenandduck.jpg

Then I deboned a 5 kg turkey , leaving the legs and wings boned this time though , and spread more stuffing over it before putting the duck/chicken in the middle ,

turkeyduckchicken.jpg

If anyone was wondering , this is what a completely naked duck and turkey look like ,

nakedturkeyandduck.jpg

I tied it all up together and it looked something like a turkey was supposed to (albeit with some strange lumps and lack of breastbone) and was therefore christened "Frankenbird" ,

frankenbird.jpg

I had to get up at 2:30 am and start it cooking , took 9 hours at 120 degrees C (someone else can translate that to farenheit ....) and came out looking like this ,

frankenbirdcooked.jpg

When cut , the various layers were pretty clear to see and it was delicious :tongue:

frankenbirdcut.jpg

Of course as well as Frankenbird there were hams and other goodies , my rum glazed ham is the smaller on to the right of shot and I think tasted better than the traditional glaze .

feast.jpg

sports850

There were 10 adults and 3 kids (all under 5 years though) and one ham and the turducken were gone by boxing day lunch , the second ham was finished a day or so after ... The in-laws are a hungry bunch .

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I wish I had seen this before Christmas! Maybe we can do something special in January? Any excuse for good food is, well, a good excuse!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
EXCELLENT job!!!!!!!!!!! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

I saw on the food network they used a cranberry with pomegranate glaze that looked amazing!
Also, what was in your stuffing?

sports850

What is your recipe for the Rum Glaze?

very simple , cup of rum , cup of brown sugar and teaspoon of mustard . Heat it all together in a saucepan till the sugar disolves and then brush over the ham (skin removed and fat scored like normal of course) . Keep reapplying the glaze in the bottom of the pan a couple of times while baking and then once the ham's out of the pan reduce the glaze over medium heat till it's nice and thick and then use as a sauce for the ham .

sports850

Sushi , the stuffing in the chook in the middle was a maccadamia mix used by the chicken butcher , the rest that I used was just about a pound of sausage mince with a couple of good scoops each of crushed garlic and corriander leaf paste . All pre-cooked before putting in between the layers .

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I wish I had seen this before Christmas! Maybe we can do something special in January? Any excuse for good food is, well, a good excuse!
I saw frozen turduchen at the local Dillon's (Kansas version of Kroger's) last week - you may still be able to find them in the freezer section at your local grocery on clearance.