• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

More networking questions/isues

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, Here's my setup and issue.

Cable modem comes into my office.
From the modem, it goes to an 8-port switch. Most of my office equipment is on that switch. I grabbed one port off of that and took it over to the family's PC's (on the other side of the room) and put a 4-port switch over there.

Now, I want the family's PC's out of my office.

So, I purchased a Linksys Wireless-N router and hooked it off my 8-port switch. So far, so good as I can take laptops around the house without issue.

Now, I have some devices in another room that can't accept a wireless USB adapter. I need to go from those devices via ethernet cable to "something". My question is, what is that "something" I need?

Do I use a Wireless Access Point or a Bridge or ??? Whatever it is, I want it to connect to the wireless router I just put in my office. I need 4 ports. Can I use the 4-port switch underlined above or do I need to get something with 4 ports directly off the back of it (be it a WAP or bridge)?