• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

so... she dropped her laptop

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
So.. Princess just dropped her laptop... it is powering up fine and you can see shit in the background, but the contrast is all black and u can just see the icons and stuff. She is about to have a stroke. Any suggestions? And I have tried the contrast buttons....

American Woman

Site Supporter
What ever.....it wont be the first time she had to give a little to get a little I'm sure... She's married ain't she? :yum:

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Any suggestions?

No suggestion for this issue at hand.

I would though, suggest a total system backup while it is still operating.

You may also want to try plugging in a separate monitor; that may tell you if the problem is the system monitor, or something in the graphics on the motherboard...

Back it up while you can though, in case it does die...

Trakternut

Hey Princess...........don't feel bad. I found out that cell phones don't take kindly to be driven over by cars, either. Please don't ask................:bonk:............................:furious:

Trakternut

Well, my coworker washed his in his shirt pocket............dried it. Still works, nearly a year later. Maybe you used too much soap??
:yum:

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
It still runs fine. It DOES look funny running on a 52" LCD via S Vid cable though. It's just the screen that's the issue. Again.. you can SEE the stuff back there but it's all black.. U can see icons and stuff and boxes and the cursor move, but it's all black....

Ah yes Dog.. the infamous FF Party 'Puter.... Maybe you can convince HP my wife is a good test candidate! :punk:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Princess...........don't feel bad. I found out that cell phones don't take kindly to be driven over by cars, either. Please don't ask................:bonk:............................:furious:

My wife did that. Then kinda forgot to tell me about the "ran it over with the car" part and sent me back to the store with it to see about warranty. Kinda felt stupid after that one when I got home and found out what she did to it.:w00t:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
you can see shit in the background, but the contrast is all black and u can just see the icons and stuff.

You broke the back light. Laptops have a fluorescent bulb in them for the LCD screen. You either broke the bulb, or the electronics that drive the bulb. Not a cheap fix. Last time I had that happen, it was cheaper to buy a new laptop than send the broken one off to be repaired.

edit: You can do it yourself if you really want to. Here is a web page that shows what you need to do. Each laptop is different, but the concept is the same. Parts can run from $10 to $100.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Dave... I guess....:bonk: I will let her know. It's here at my office with me today....

Cityboy

Banned
So.. Princess just dropped her laptop... it is powering up fine and you can see shit in the background, but the contrast is all black and u can just see the icons and stuff. She is about to have a stroke. Any suggestions? And I have tried the contrast buttons....

Tell Princess to take it to Confession.....:tongue: :flowers: