• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

After about a year of use, I think Apple computers suck

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I've wasted about 40 hours in the last month doing all sorts of searches on how to get my f***ing MacBook Pro to see the other computers on my home network and all I see is thousands of other people asking the same question with no apparent answer. :furious:

I'm about to officially declare this laptop a $2800 paperweight! Unless I physically connect it to a printer I can't even print through my home network. All PC computers share and see each other no problem. This MacBook is the only bastard of the bunch.

Anybody here ever run across similar problems and know how to get the POS Mac to see other computers? If the answer is to use only Mac computers on the network, I can tell you what is going to happen to this expensive experiment in futility. I feel that a year is long enough to waste trying to get this thing to do something other than connect to the internet and get email. Hell, I can get a free cell phone that will do that!

Signed,

Frustrated in Mac Hell

P.S. I forgot to mention that this POS Mac also doesn't get sound on many websites either. I've spent hours trying to load the right f***ing drivers and patch programs to get sound to no avail. I can listen to thousands of radio stations and hear sound on my PC's no problem. This silver turd is a mute to boot!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
What type of printer do you have?

Do you have Windows Media Player for the Mac installed?

What kind of Mac you got? I'll give you some cash and some Wolf .223 ammo for it! :whistle:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, I may have to install Windows Vista on the damn thing to get it to work. Isn't that a kick in the shorts after all of Mac's ads on TV?

Let me know if I can help with your Mac. I've been using them for ages so I can help with some things. Just give some specifics when telling the problems.

Vista has it's flaws too. No OS is perfect.:neutral:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent,
What is the problem? As I read it, you simply want it to connect to your windows network and print via it's wireless connection.
If that is it I'm sure it's doable, I have not worked with Mac networking, but let us know the details and maybe we can get you going.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I've tried for the better part of a year to get this MacBook Pro to "see" the other computers on my network. When I first bought it it did see them and I was able to use my network printers and draw from my database hard drive that is just a Linksys component that holds 2 hard drives sitting on my main router. I have a few terabytes of storage there and it contains all of the backups as well as pictures and music. All other computers "see" each other and share what they are supposed to share.

After I paid to get screwed; bought Mac's new software I lost all networking functions except being able to get on the internet. I've done Google searches and have found thousands of others with my exact same complaint but am yet to find any fix. The bottom line, as said by my one and only local Mac store, is "that seems to be a problem". No kidding?!

If I can't print off of my laptop without physically going to the printer and plugging it in, the laptop is completely useless to me for any work. I even spent a few hours with a Mac phone support tech who had me trying to enter all sorts of IP addresses for my other computers in Finder since Finder is too inept to find them, but that was another exercise in frustration. The f***ing tech suggested I buy other Mac computers. I told him that honestly the opposite would happen and, based on the thousands of others having the same problem, I'd have to assume there are thousands of others who also will not blow their money on another Mac.

Oh, besides not seeing any other computers on my network, I have followed directions and downloaded dozens of "patches" and 'codecs' and other shit to try to get this silver turd to play audio from some sites to no avail. My PCs work just fine with no screwing around. This thing just won't play audio and radio feeds. For example, some NFL games that I don't get on TV are broadcast on the internet in audio. I can listen to those games on a PC but not this Mac. Needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed in Mac computers to put it mildly. I consider it a $2800 and 500 hour loss so far.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
So is the Mac isolated from the rest of the network via a different router?

What changed between the time it used to work and when you first noticed it not working?

Are other computers using similar network setting (i.e. Wireless) or is you Mac the only Wireless computer.

There are some SAMBA hacks that can sometimes help. I hacked mine to make it work better on my network.

You didn't say what sort of printer you had or how it was shared over the network. If it is plugged into a Windows machine and then shared (the Windows machine is the print server) then you will probably have problems.

I am absolutely SHOCKED that the Apple Techs weren't able (or willing) to help you! :rolleyes:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is there a uninstall or restore option for that Mac software you added / upgraded? Since the problem happened right after you installed that, and other mac users are having much the same problem wtih different networks, that soft ware seems to be the culprit.
Could you reload the original OS without the upgrade?

Like PB said, Samba might help you out with this. We use it to share files between Linux and Windows servers.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc, Samba is built in to the Mac OS but they hide the smb.conf file away so the average lUser can't find it easily. There are always some extra options that can be tweaked though.

Dargo have you checked out the WINS tab/pane in the Advanced area of your various Network connections? You may have to enter your workgroup info and if you are running a WINS server (your router may support this) then configure that as well. You will need to do this for both your Built-in ethernet port and your AirPort.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
So is the Mac isolated from the rest of the network via a different router? Nope, all on the same router and network.

What changed between the time it used to work and when you first noticed it not working? I bought that damn "Leopard" or whatever 'upgrade' they had.

Are other computers using similar network setting (i.e. Wireless) or is you Mac the only Wireless computer. I have several other computers using the wireless network with zero problems...ever.

There are some SAMBA hacks that can sometimes help. I hacked mine to make it work better on my network. Great...I have to hack a Mac to get it to work? :huh:

You didn't say what sort of printer you had or how it was shared over the network. If it is plugged into a Windows machine and then shared (the Windows machine is the print server) then you will probably have problems. I have about 4 or 5 printers hooked up to desktop systems that are shared printers on the network. They all are able to print to any printer as is all NON MAC laptops.

I am absolutely SHOCKED that the Apple Techs weren't able (or willing) to help you! :rolleyes:
Me thinks Mac has a major fkup with their OS and are simply looking at methods that generate additional revenue rather than fixing their problems. Apple was much the same with the iPhone. It was a royal PIA and flat out shitty deal when it first came out. The huge public backlash seemed to force them to correct the numerous problems after they unloaded 'not ready' phones on the general public. I have to think Apple knew their iPhone was loaded with problems when they first released it but just wanted some cash inflow. This seems to be the issue with their software as well. If you type "Mac doesn't see PC's on network" in Google you get thousands of hits with no answers. It's painfully obvious Apple knows about their problem but simply isn't addressing it. :furious:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Doing new 10.5.6 upgrade that came out 12/15/08. Says it addresses compatibility issues. I can only hope...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Doing new 10.5.6 upgrade that came out 12/15/08. Says it addresses compatibility issues. I can only hope...

Dargo, those shared out printers will probably not work very well because of the way Windows manages the printer sharing.

You need to have a Printer that supports TCP/IP directly (not through a computer) and ideally it should have Mac printer drivers. I have a HP printer that works great with computers from both platforms and I just plug it directly into my router.

BoneheadNW

Ahem........PC wussies!:hide:

They should give a test to see if you are man enough to own a Mac!:hide:

I'll take the iphone if that too is up for grabs!
Bone

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Brent,
I just noticed this upgrade for my itunes. Sounds like it might help you with your Mac connecting if it lives up to what it says. You might have to put itunes on the windows computer with the printer attached.

from Apple said:
Bonjour, also known as zero-configuration networking, enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. This update is recommended for all users to improve the usability and compatibility of your existing Bonjour installation.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc. I've done more "patches" and "upgrades" on this Mac than I've done on any PC already! Whoever tries to claim that Mac computers "just work" is full of bullshit! I'll gladly do yet another patch/upgrade if it will fix more of the problems with the Mac OS. I would have never believed that the Mac OS makes Vista look like not only a work of art, but the most advanced OS in the history of man. Apple excels at hype and advertising, not delivering on their promises. Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Brent,
I just noticed this upgrade for my itunes. Sounds like it might help you with your Mac connecting if it lives up to what it says. You might have to put itunes on the windows computer with the printer attached.

Bonjour only works with "Bonjour" enabled computers. Very few Windows apps support Bonjour and certainly not printers that are shared via a Windows computers.

I bet you that all of Dargo's connectivity problems are related to some SMB network quirk.

BoneheadNW

Thanks Doc. I've done more "patches" and "upgrades" on this Mac than I've done on any PC already! Whoever tries to claim that Mac computers "just work" is full of bullshit!
I'm full of BS! Seriously, the only problems I have encountered with either my Mac desktop here at home or my Macbook that I take to work (the PC at my shared workstation had a meltdown, no money in the budget to replace it) is with the Microsoft software Entourage. Seems that it will not sync with the dept's server.
Bone

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Bonjour only works with "Bonjour" enabled computers. Very few Windows apps support Bonjour and certainly not printers that are shared via a Windows computers.

I bet you that all of Dargo's connectivity problems are related to some SMB network quirk.

I OBVIOUSLY don't know exactly what the problems are (or I'd have fixed them). All I know is the only computer out of 9 we have running here that is a problem is the MacBook Pro. Everything else works fine right when it's plugged in straight from the box. Sound works on all websites, networking works fine, printers work fine. I feel that I've given Apple more than a fair shake and, for someone who just wants to plug something in and have it work, Mac computers are by far the worst I've ever experienced.

Maybe for someone who has grown up only doing Mac stuff and is used to having to patch, update, re-program, reconfigure, re-install etc., they are okay. I haven't the time nor patience to jack with updates and patches every single day and still have a computer that, for all intents and purposes, is about the equal to a $200 PC notebook (except for nearly $3k). Apple finally got the iPhone working for the most part, but I believe that is because they had far more people screaming at them about their defective software in the iPhone than there are Mac users in the world.

I'll most likely send this expensive silver turd off to college with one of my kids where there is likely some other MacFreaks who can get it working for them. For me, I'll just stick with the "turn it on and it works" type of stuff.

*edit*

Since Apple has cost me so much in both money and time, I suppose I could uninstall everything Mac related as possible on this thing and install a OS that works, unbelievable, Vista...or the new version of Vista that's coming out. Vista has gotten a bad rap in the press, but it has worked 10X better than this Mac Leopard or whatever they call their OS. I'm just extremely pissed that I fell for the BS ads about Mac computers working better than PC computers and dropped big coin for what I consider junk; at least the OS is junk.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
reminds me of the new guy who told me his goal was to get our whole company (450 mill in windows based networking) to switch to macs, since they were technologically more advanced.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
reminds me of the new guy who told me his goal was to get our whole company (450 mill in windows based networking) to switch to macs, since they were technologically more advanced.

I can't say much. I fell for their hype and BS and it cost me a little over 3k plus untold hours of frustration. :mad:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo,

Have you tried all the steps outlined in this tech support article?
Mac OS X: Cannot locate a shared Windows printer

• Last Modified: October 08, 2008
  • Article: HT1404

• Old Article: 301397

Summary

In Mac OS X 10.3 and later, Printer Setup Utility allows you to add a printer that's being shared by a Microsoft Windows PC. However, Printer Setup Utility may not see some shared Windows printers. Here are some reasons why and what you can do about it.

Products Affected

Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.5

The printer name contains more than 12 characters

Only printer share names that contain 12 characters or less will be displayed in Printer Setup Utility when browsing for a Windows printer. If you need to use a printer with a longer share name, either shorten the share name on the computer that's sharing the printer, or add the printer manually using the steps found in this article.
Incorrect Windows username or password when adding a Windows printer

Printer Setup Utility will prompt you for a username and password when adding a shared Windows printer. These fields can be left blank if the computer sharing the printer is set up to allow guest users to see and print to the shared printer.
If the computer that's sharing the printer is set up so that only specific users can see the printer, the printer list will be blank if the wrong user (or no user) is entered. Contact the administrator of the computer sharing the printer to determine what username and password to use. Please note that the steps in this article will not work if you are not using a correct username and password.
The computer sharing the printer is on a different subnet

Printers shared by Windows PCs that are on a different subnet than your Mac will not be listed. You can manually add printers shared by a Windows computer on another subnet using the steps in this article. Be sure to use the computer's IP address—not the computer's workgroup and name when adding the printer manually.
The shared printer's comment contains special characters

If one of the shared Windows printers has a Return character (which isn't displayed) at the end of its comment (description), any printers that should appear after it will not be displayed.
To resolve this, go to the computer that's sharing the printer and remove any Return characters (or other special characters) from the printer's comment. Please note that the steps provided in this article, will not work until you remove these characters.
Tip: Printer Setup Utility lists available printers alphabetically, but Windows may not list the printer order in the same way. This means that the printer with the special character in its comment may not be the last printer listed in Windows, as it's listed in Printer Setup Utility.
How to manually add a Windows shared printer

See Mac OS X: How to manually add a Windows shared printer.