• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Photo Storage?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
What's the best and easiest way to store your photos on your computer. I had a program I down loaded from the internet once, but lost it all when I had to reload my computer a few weeks ago. Since, I've found my photos from a thumbnail drive I have, but it's all screwed up, and I have no easy way to see my photos, let alone share , or bore, with all you guys.:tiphat::beer::beer::beer:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
How about online storage, like Flickr? Then you don't have to worry about back ups or losing them again,

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I use Picasa from Google for all my photos. I have recently started using Amazon's S3 service and JungleDisk for off-site archiving of my pictures and data.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I keep copies of everything on multiple drives.

Don't use anything that puts your photos in non-standard locations or renames them strange names - that is called product lock-in.

The best backup is lots of backups! ;)

D

darroll

I just save them to pictures and then do a once a week backup.

k-dog

I backup my pictures to DVD, then I take then to my mom's house and put them on her computer as well. I do it as I go I have about 10 or 12 DVD's of pictures and video. I'm thinking about picking up a TB portable hard drive to save them to as well. In between the time to get enough data to fill up a DVD, I just back up to a 4 gig thumb drive.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I downloaded Picasa, so far so good. But now I've something to go on.
I think the next step will be to download my photos onto a higher capacity thumbnail. I got cheap when I bought the one I have, only 1Gb. But at least I didn't lose any photos. Heading upnorth in a couple hours, so won't be online for a bit.:beer::beer:

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I copy my pictures (as well as everything else) to a external drive. I think mine is 850G.
With the exception of full backups, I keep everything in a "briefcase" for faster updates since it only picks up anything added or changed.