PDA

View Full Version : BAM!! Right to the moon!!!!

johnday
01-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Last night I was typing out a reply to the "Power and Water to Pole Barn thread. Spent a good 15 minutes on it. Then, towards the end, BAM!, this bloody thing locked up on me. Using the mouse wheel, was like using my forward/reverse button, couldn't type anything, and generally one big PITA. After screwing around for an hour or so, resetting my mouse, when I could get to the control panal, I noticed an icon I'd never seen before in my tooltray. It looked like the view thru a riflescope, and when I put the cursor on it, it said "filter keys locked". What the crap is that, and why did it do that. I don't think I hit any of those wierd ass keys at the top of the keyboard or anything. Got up this morning, and tried to go to restart, wouldn't do anything. I wound up turning the machine off by using the power button on the CPU.

Can someone 'splain in laymans terms what happened, and what to do next time?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

DaveNay
01-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Can someone 'splain in laymans terms what happened

You got F-ed!

what to do next time?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Kick it in the head.

johnday
01-23-2006, 03:59 PM
You got F-ed!

Yeah man, sure did!!:pat::yum::tiphat::beer:

bczoom
01-23-2006, 05:00 PM
John,

It sounds like you inadvertently turned on Filter Keys. Filter Keys have to do with keyboard/mouse options for people with disabilities.

If you hold a key too long or repeat a keystroke a certain # of times, it'll kick it on or do something. (E.g. If you held down your right SHIFT key for 8 seconds, it'll turn it on).

Here (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pria_apd_afil.asp) is a page that provides more info.

OregonAlex
01-23-2006, 05:03 PM
John,

XP thought you were a little physically "challenged". Read this. Scoll down to the FilterKeys section.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pria_apd_afil.asp

johnday
01-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys, guess I better clean off my desk!! I heard a little beep when it happened, reckon I laid my hand on a key too long!:pat::pat: