• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Besides the turkey.....

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
What is your favourite thing to eat on Thanksgiving day?
For me it's....
Tada!!!.. as well as my aunt's cranberry and pecan stuffing that she promised to make this year, glazed baby carrots.. and banana cream pie (Mom's-which is heavenly) :smile:

Attachments

• 1f4b4ac36cdab1bde21305971614ef2e-400.jpg
    1f4b4ac36cdab1bde21305971614ef2e-400.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 101

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's an interesting tidbit I found-

The use of the turkey in the USA for Thanksgiving precedes Lincoln's nationalization of the holiday in 1863. Alexander Hamilton proclaimed that "no Citizen of the United States should refrain from turkey on Thanksgiving Day", but turkey was uncommon as Thanksgiving fare until after 1800. By 1857 turkey had become part of the traditional dinner in New England.
A Thanksgiving Day dinner served to the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1935 included: Pickles, green olives, celery, roast turkey, oyster stew, cranberry sauce, giblet gravy, dressing, creamed asparagus tips, snowflake potatoes, baked carrots, hot rolls, fruit salad, mince meat pie, fruit cake, candies, grapes, apples, French drip coffee, cigars and cigarettes.

Abby

Itsn't it weird that they should mention cigaras and cigarettes?! How times have changed. I always looked forward to my Grandma's dressing. She passed years ago and I am still trying to get it down pat. I'm going to try something new this year that I saw on the Today Show this morning. We're having 17 this year, it oughtta be a BLAST!!

D

darroll

Here's an interesting tidbit I found-

The use of the turkey in the USA for Thanksgiving precedes Lincoln's nationalization of the holiday in 1863. Alexander Hamilton proclaimed that "no Citizen of the United States should refrain from turkey on Thanksgiving Day", but turkey was uncommon as Thanksgiving fare until after 1800. By 1857 turkey had become part of the traditional dinner in New England.
A Thanksgiving Day dinner served to the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1935 included: Pickles, green olives, celery, roast turkey, oyster stew, cranberry sauce, giblet gravy, dressing, creamed asparagus tips, snowflake potatoes, baked carrots, hot rolls, fruit salad, mince meat pie, fruit cake, candies, grapes, apples, French drip coffee, cigars and cigarettes.

I don’t know how our forefathers were able to bag a turkey with their muskets.
We have been turkey hunting with modern weapons and only heard them.
We had the turkey call and still never got a turkey after several attempts.
Wild turkeys are safe around us.
:chef:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
A good bun, some dark meat on it, a bit of mashed potatoes and pour some gravy on it. Flip the top of the bun over on and eat. I like the dark meat.

murph

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My mom's Veal Stuffing!!!

I can live without the rest of the meal. Just give me the veal stuffing.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I don’t know how our forefathers were able to bag a turkey with their muskets.
We have been turkey hunting with modern weapons and only heard them.
We had the turkey call and still never got a turkey after several attempts.
Wild turkeys are safe around us.
:chef:

There's the issue. You need to use your car! You can get as close as you want that way.:ninja: If you wish, it's great with me if you do some thinning of the flock from the trees up the road.... stupid obnoxious birds...:furious:

D

darroll

There's the issue. You need to use your car! You can get as close as you want that way.:ninja: If you wish, it's great with me if you do some thinning of the flock from the trees up the road.... stupid obnoxious birds...:furious:

But...
The wild ones sure taste good.

I bagged a pheasant once with my car accidentally.
I took it home and we had it for dinner.
My kids told the whole neighborhood. And I got reminded by neighbor teenagers that it’s not pheasant season. They still called me a poacher even after my explaining it to them.
Years later My buddy and I hit a deer with his rig. We brought it home, skinned it out and I told my kids it was mutton.

:mrgreen:

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I had a pheasant take out the grill on my old car...:censored:

But... one day years ago.... I was coming home from helping a guy plow ground post wheat harvest...I had called princess and let her know I would be there in about 20... well I see this pickup that has just pulled over...it's grill and radiator GONE... deer laying in the lane of traffic back a ways. So I stop and make sure they are OK and that they have called for help... and decide I need to move the deer as it is a serious hazard. As I walk back to the deer I call princess to let her know what's going on and that I will be a little late for dinner... first words out of her mouth... "is the meat any good?":bonk: Yup. Not a city girl any more!:clap:

My mom always make this salad that consists of cool whip, lemon and lime juice and food coloring for the most part... LOVE it.

D

darroll

We are getting off topic.. Got to ask this though.
What does Gator taste like..

Here goes, Tastes like chicken.. LOL No-No-no.

:bonk:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Itsn't it weird that they should mention cigaras and cigarettes?! How times have changed. I always looked forward to my Grandma's dressing. She passed years ago and I am still trying to get it down pat. I'm going to try something new this year that I saw on the Today Show this morning. We're having 17 this year, it oughtta be a BLAST!!
The head count so far at our gathering is 18 or (20), depending on if my Aunt Rosie and Uncle Harry fly in.
Other than that, it'll be at my sister Juliet's house with all of us, not counting the dogs running under foot.:smile:

Was the stuffing you're talking about the cornbread recipe, Abby? (from the Today Show).

Yes, it is weird that they mentioned cigars and cigarettes in that piece, but back the day (and not so far back in the day) people served good cigs and cigars with coffee after an impressive meal.