• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wireless network setup questions

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I want to move some PC's out of my office that are now hard-wired into an 8-port switch. Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Their destinations are not commensurate to pulling CAT-5 so I need to go wireless.

I need some advise on how to best get this done.

There's at least 5 existing computers that need to go wireless. These are all desktop machines with Ethernet cards but no wireless devices at this time.

Do I need a "Wireless Router" or "Wireless Access Point" or ??? Do either of these types of devices have Ethernet jacks off the back that I can use to hard-wire in computers (as some of the computers will be within ease wire-pull distance to the wireless device)?

What are my options for each device (desktop PC) to get them connected to the wireless? AFAIK, my only 2 choices are PCI card or USB, is that correct? That being the case, if I went with USB, can I pull the adapter and move them around in a real-time mode from computer to computer? My thoughts are to only have a couple cards and I can pull them at any time to limit internet access altogether for the kids or control which devices can be connected.

How many computers can be hooked to either a wireless router or access point at a time? I'm figuring I may need > 4 at any given moment.

What do I connect to my current (wired) router?

I'm assuming Wireless-G is the way to go, correct? At 2.4Ghz, does it interfere with newer wireless phones (that I thought used a similar frequency)?

I do need VPN capabilities via the wireless.

I'd like a wireless range of about 150' to get out to my building. Assuming a desktop there as well, what do I need for wireless? If I used a USB Network adapter, think it'll reach?

Questions for later, while being installed will relate to security configuration.

BTW, please don't break the bank in your recommendations. :thumb:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is what I have at home for a wireless router. On the back you CAT5 your modem directly to this and it allows you to CAT5 up to 4 computers and you can connect with as many as you want wireless. I have one hard wired and at times can will have 4 laptops hooked to it wireless. The Linksys I think I paid around $50.00. Check around and use the newest technology. Make sure you password protect your wireless so your neighbors don't help themselves.

With this on each computer you will need a wireless Network card and you can do that with PCI or USB. You computer may already have a NIC card on the mother board at which you may have to turn off. If you only want two computers on it at a time you might want to go USB card that you can move around or you can configure the Linksys to only allow two or whatever at at time.

Hope that helps you.

murph

garygaboury

I'll start by saying I am by no means a professional but i do play with this stuff as a hobby.

There's at least 5 existing computers that need to go wireless. These are all desktop machines with Ethernet cards but no wireless devices at this time.

5 Is a little bit of an issue, I'm going to pretend that you only have four since you mentioned limiting access to some.

Do I need a "Wireless Router" or "Wireless Access Point" or ??? Do either of these types of devices have Ethernet jacks off the back that I can use to hard-wire in computers (as some of the computers will be within ease wire-pull distance to the wireless device)?

Just about any wireless router you buy today will have 4 ports on the back to hard wire systems, If that is a possibility you should hard wire and forget about as many pc's as you can.

What are my options for each device (desktop PC) to get them connected to the wireless? AFAIK, my only 2 choices are PCI card or USB, is that correct? That being the case, if I went with USB, can I pull the adapter and move them around in a real-time mode from computer to computer? My thoughts are to only have a couple cards and I can pull them at any time to limit internet access altogether for the kids or control which devices can be connected.

Since you are 150' from your router I would reccomend a usb wireless adapter. If you buy the d-link brand it comes with a nice cable and "dock" for the actual reciever and you can move it around a bit to get the best reception. The reciever is similar in size to a USB thuimb drive. If you go this route you can unplug and move it in real time between pc's. Of course you would first have to install and configure each pc then it would be "hot swapable"

How many computers can be hooked to either a wireless router or access point at a time? I'm figuring I may need > 4 at any given moment.

I understood only 4 at a time but have have been known to be wrong in the past.

What do I connect to my current (wired) router?

If I read it correctly you have a 8 port switch, and I assume a router from your ISP plugged into the wan port on the switch. Assuming you need the other computers plugged into the switch you can plug the router into the switch without much trouble, worst case you need to change he router's ip with is easy to do when you post asking your security questions.

I'm assuming Wireless-G is the way to go, correct? At 2.4Ghz, does it interfere with newer wireless phones (that I thought used a similar frequency)?

If your buying new wireless N is the top of the pile. Since you are going 150' I would reccomend it. You might want to look into a range extending antenna is you aren;t spending the money on N. They usually run around $50-$75 I occasionaly hear of issues with the phones but it is very rare, if you have trouble you can change the channel on either the router or the phone.(If you change the phone it's one setting, If you change the router it's a setting on each pc as well) I did have major issues in a house sharing with a 2.4gig video device sending sat tv from one room to another. that could be a whole post in itself.

I do need VPN capabilities via the wireless.

Unless you buy absolute bottom of the barrel hardware this isn;t an issue.

I'd like a wireless range of about 150' to get out to my building. Assuming a desktop there as well, what do I need for wireless? If I used a USB Network adapter, think it'll reach?

See above, wireless g is probably good enough, is it outdoor space your crossing? With a antena boost it will work, N should work no trouble and be faster.
Questions for later, while being installed will relate to security configuration.

BTW, please don't break the bank in your recommendations. :thumb:[/QUOTE]
You will see routers at places like walmart for $20, you will also see them for $250. There is a difference, A big difference. I recommend D-Link or Linksys products to save you from ripping your hair out later. If it was my set up I would go with G + and "range boost antenna" but wish I had more money to go with N.

Good luck.

This was written at 4:00am, I apologize for the spelling.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Buy Wireless-N if you can. If you move a lot of data you may miss those wires.

I'm thankful for my Gigabit Ethernet. :thumb:

jwstewar

Most wireless Routers available today can support up to 256 devices. If you need more you add in either a managed switch or another router so that you can give it a different subnet.

They easiest way to do this is buy your $50 Linksys Router and then an inexpensive switch hardwired via an uplink port. This way you can keep adding hardwired devices as you need. Wireless, you don't need to do anything, it will automatically support up to the 256 devices. BTW, it is 256 devices between both hardwired and wireless.

Hanging off my wireless router ($50 Linksys from Wal-mart) I currently have my desktop, a laser printer, Dish Network Receiver, Samsung TV, a switch, and 2 computers I'm working on for other people. Hooked up wirelessly I currently have our Toshiba Laptop, the Dell from work, and the Kids' Wii. I also have a wireless USB adapter that I picked up at MicroCenter for $9 that I use with an old computer out in the barn for viewing instruction manuals or what not on. We picked up a Compaq laptop yesterday at the Wally-World sale for $298 and a PS3. Those will both be hooked up after Christmas. Still need to hook up the existing PS2.:blink: Damn, that is a lot of devices hanging off a home network.

garygaboury

Most wireless Routers available today can support up to 256 devices. If you need more you add in either a managed switch or another router so that you can give it a different subnet.
I had no idea, 256 wow. Learn something new everyday.

jwstewar

I had no idea, 256 wow. Learn something new everyday.

Yep, the 256 comes in because it can assign address from xxx.xxx.xxx.0 through xxx.xxx.xxx.255. Thus 256.