• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Direct TV

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
There is no cable available for me up in Barton City. So, I got on the web looking for options. Direct TV seems to be the best option for me. I'm sure a number of you guys/gals have their service. How do you like it? Do you have your computer hooked up for the internet, and are you happy with it?

Direct TV and DishTV appear to be the only co's out there, and both are touting High Def. Are they telling me I have to buy a new TV? Been away for awhile like some of you know, things have progressed in the rest of the world.:dizzy::tiphat::beer:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I've been running DirecTV for 10 years now. I've been satisfied with the service, I'd give them a 90% satisfaction rating.

I only own crappy old TV's which are non-High definition. Someday when I'm as rich as Sushi, I'll get a HD flat TV, but I have a long way to go.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I also have Direct TV ...and have had it for 9 years. I'm very happy with it. No need to upgrade the TV's unless you do want true HDTV. My TV does not do HDTV justice, so it's not worth it. But I strongly suggest the Tivo option (I can't remember what their name for it is) but for a little bit extra (4.95 per month I think) it is so worth it.
At first I bought my own receivers at 300 bucks each from a supplier out of Texas. Those went bad and I replaced each once. Then I got on the Direct TV plan where I get the receiver from them and pay insurance so they replace it whenever it goes bad. I've had more trouble with the older receivers than these new Tivo models .. but I still have the insurance (and I rarely buy this kind of insurance).
In heavy rains you will loose signal, but around here that doesn't happen often, nor does it last very long. I'm very satisfied with their service.

jwstewar

We had DirecTV back years ago when we had to go through Pegasucks, but we then switched to Dish Network. We had each one about 3 or 4 years. Not a whole lot of difference.

Once we moved back into the new house after the fire, I researched both of them again. On the surface both appear to be somewhat equal price wise. One advantage for us with DirecTV was local channels were in HD. Dish Network offered 2 advantages. First is they have Dual-Tuner Receivers. You can have picture-in-picture on one TV or you can run 2 TVs off that same tuner and not pay $5.95 a month for a secondary receiver. This adds up since we want TV on 4 TVs. So this saves us $12 a month. Second one, they offered DVR service free. That was another $5 or $6 a month. So we ended up going with Dish Network. I didn't think I would care for the DVR at first. Now I would be lost without it. They came out to the house the next day and installed it. I "helped" run the wiring and everything so it was up to my specs as far as looks and all that kind of stuff, but the installer seemed like he really wanted to do a good job and I think he would've even done OK without my help. We opted for the Top 200 w/ local channels and the HD package. At the time we go the 2 receivers & install free w/ 2 year committment. Our first, 10th, and 20th months of service are also free.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can't comment on Dish, but have had DirecTV since the mid 1990's. Was very satisfied with their analog service.

Bought two flat screen TVs last fall, and switched to HD. DirecTV came right out and did the installation, and that is when the problems began. Ended up cycling through 4 receivers before getting a receiver that would work consistently. The first one that needed replacing, the technician came back and replaced it. For the last 3, I had to wait on UPS to deliver the new box, then install it myself. Installation is simple, so that was not a problem. Waiting up to a week to get another receiver was a pain. After doing this 3 times, I called DirecTV and asked what it would take to switch back to non-HD service. They were floored anyone would make such a request. I explained all the problems I had experienced, and they kept saying I was unique, and no one else ever complained. I gave them an alternative to send a reciever that worked, or I would cancel the contract and switch to Dish. Magically, the next morning a new reciever was delivered, and that one has worked o.k.

Occasionally after being out of town for a weekend, I can power on the TV, and get no signal. Have to reset the DirecTV control box, and then the control box has to download all the program information from the satellite. This takes about 15 - 20 minutes, which can seem like forever whenever you are sitting there waiting for it.

When everything works, the picture is outstanding.

I would give DirecTV a C on their equipment and an A on picture quality when everything works.

Bob

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John,
I forgot to comment on the Direct TV internet service. When I considered it, the equipment was expensive and the speed was not so good. I hear that it's faster now and the equipment is cheaper. I think we have one or two members on Net Tractor Talk that use Hughes Net which is what Direct TV calls it's internet service.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I was leaning toward Direct TV from the start. My neighbour behind me has it. They seem to like it. The only exposure I ever had with it was watching something on the The Weather Channel over there. Now, has anyone gotten enough snowfall to bother the signal? Snowfall is quite heavy at times up there.

I'm considering the internet service as well because we don't even have DSL available that I know of.

Think I'll go next door and see who has the internet connection like Doc suggested.

Thanks again all.:thumb::tiphat::beer::beer:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
John,

I was on Direct TV for about 3 years and the snow never bothered it. But a good rain would.

murph

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
John, we now have a double satellite internet set up of Hughes and Wild Blue. Both are set at the mid level of service and pricing. Neither one really out shines the other except if service is needed then we have local Wild Blue service people available where it took several weeks for the Hughes people to repair our system when it went down after about 5 years. They sent a service person out of Nebraska to northern Wyoming. The problem was even created by Hughes when they sent us a defective upgrade modem that worked for two months and quit. Find out who can provide local service and how fast they can get to you. That is the real difference in keeping you happy. Tech service for our Wild Blue is in the US while the first line tech service for Hughes is somewhere when you call you can not understand them and they will run you around in circles until you want to shoot them.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
John,

I was on Direct TV for about 3 years and the snow never bothered it. But a good rain would.

murph
Now that's interesting, I wonder why the snow didn't bother it. Shows how much I know.
Thanks murph:tiphat::beer:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
mtntopper, Thanks for the heads up. I'm learning guys. Wildblue will be the one if available.:tiphat::beer::beer:

jwstewar

I have seen a snow bother both our DirecTV service when we had it and the Dish Network that we had before. Haven't had snow with the latest version of Dish Network. I've seen it snow heavy enough that it blogged the signal just like rain. I've also had enough snow stick to the dish itself that I've had to go out and either brush it off or pour warm water on it. At least mine is mounted on a pole on the ground.

BTW, I work with a guy that had Dish for years and just switched to DirecTV. He liked the Dish better but is under contract until February with them. He is going back to Dish.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
We considered Hughes Net for internet, but went instead with our cell provider's products (Alltel).

Much cheaper on monthly expense and on equipment (free). Its faster, too.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
We considered Hughes Net for internet, but went instead with our cell provider's products (Alltel).

That works great if you have consistent cell service. From our house it might work and it might not. We have that for some time and finally had to change. Just had enough of the fight. We love our Hughes net... that reminds me... I owe a BD a check of UL and DL speeds...:hide:
Dishnetwork is what we have for TV. We love it. Service has always been great. One of the few downsides is that we DON'T get the locals in HD yet. Supposedly that will be changed by years end. The dual tuner DVR is awesome. Like Jim, I would almost be lost without it now.
As far as the HD thing.. no new equipment is needed if you want satellite but not the HD. Satellite is already a digital signal like over the air stuff is/will be. And just like OTA signals you only need the HD TV to watch the HD stuff in HD. What I just said in WAY to many words was ... ALL HD broadcasts are digital, but not all digital broadcasts are in HD. There are several threads on HD TV here as well as satellite TV.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter

Is that as in "aircard"? Never thought of that:idea::tiphat::beer: