• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Computer ??

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I came across these factory refurbished dell computers at what seems like a great deal........Or is it ?

Dell Optiplex
P4 2.8GHz
2GB ram
160GB hd (new)
AGP nVidia graphics
XP Pro SP3

No monitor, but do get new keyboard & mouse. They only have a single core processor. What's the did between single & dual core ?

They would be $210 each, shipped.

Should I do it ??

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
AGP tells me they're running an older motherboard and probably vidcard - probably clearing up some stock but likely cheap junk at that.

That noted: for web surfing why not? Do you have a link? The machine I built for the inlaws [a mix of cheap mobo and some pretty good components and used ones] just dropped the primary hard-drive.

That might make more sense than buying a new drive and finding all the software for me to load [I think they made have 'borrowed' the OS at that :whistle: ].

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Seems like a pretty good deal. Share the link after you order.

A "single core" processor only has one cpu on it. The dual core means the processor has two cpu's on it and is kind of like a "dual processor" machine. The OS will treat it like it has two processors even though they sometimes share cache and other components.

PB

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for describing dual core PB; I didn't know how to do it without sounding just like HTT.

Any info on the chipset or Dell model; what about year of mfg.? I had to do a quick google on that series [for that matter I'd had to on any series of any brand], and suspect GX270 - so 5 year old technologies and maybe components.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Thanks for describing dual core PB; I didn't know how to do it without sounding just like HTT.

Any info on the chipset or Dell model; what about year of mfg.? I had to do a quick google on that series [for that matter I'd had to on any series of any brand], and suspect GX270 - so 5 year old technologies and maybe components.

Model is

GX 260

And they have 3.0 ghz processors......(I was wrong before.)

Also can come with AGP nVidia graphics or ATi Graphics card .....??

Which is better ?

The hard drives & ram are new.

Typical CD/DVD burner.

Windows XP Pro SP3 COA Sticker Included

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Ahhhh, I see! If the chart I found is correct, you don't have SATA. But so what, that drive doesn't care if it was made to older technology. I wonder if that's a real P4 or Celeron, but for surfing you still don't care.

Without back to back numbers on the video [and then I'm still the wrong person to ask] I'll say Coke or Pepsi on those.

The fact it comes with XP Pro SP3 is why I found some value.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It would be fine for web surfing but it is pretty old.

What do you plan to do with it?

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
It would be fine for web surfing but it is pretty old.

What do you plan to do with it?

Use it for backing up my music external HD (see my other post)......... (by hooking up both external drives, hitting copy & walking away) & just as a back up computer, something the kids won't get near. The cheapest compatible new system with the ram & hd space is double that price........plus I like XP, not vista.

There is some warranty.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It should work fine. I assume your external drives are USB 2.0 and the system supports USB 2.0. A five year old low-end system may have sketchy USB 2.0 support but that could be rectified with a pretty cheap PCI card addition.

You could even do the backup over a wired network and use something like RoboCopy to do it on an automated interval (i.e. weekly).

Kwiens

Looks like a good buy for a mail server or web surfing. I've purchased several Dell refurbs in the past and have had no problems. They even included a 3 year on-site warranty!

XP Pro SP3 is $139.00 @ Newegg.

It may be a good value for you.

K

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
sounds like a good deal to me - we surplussed out GS260's to schools last year when the warranty ran out on them.
They'll be real P4 - as opposed to celeron processors.
should be perfectly fine for what you want at half the price of an emachine from wal-mart!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Be careful and check if they are full size machines or small form cases. If they are the small ones, the HD's and Power Supply's are proprietary and can't be purchased at retailers. Another note, a lot of the 270 machines had bad motherboards, caps actually. And 100+ had to be replaced at our shop. The 270 is close to the 260.

jwstewar

Be careful and check if they are full size machines or small form cases. If they are the small ones, the HD's and Power Supply's are proprietary and can't be purchased at retailers. Another note, a lot of the 270 machines had bad motherboards, caps actually. And 100+ had to be replaced at our shop. The 270 is close to the 260.

You took the words out of my mouth Jerry....errr...I guess keyboard.:rolf2:

We ran a bunch of 270s and everyone of them had to have the motherboard replace at least once. Mine in particular was replace 3 times. On the 260s we had they constantly dropped hard drives. Not sure why, but even after being replacing the original Maxtors that came in them with Western Digitals they would fail again. I've only had a few other WDs fail, but damn if they wouldn't fail in those machines regularly. I don't know if there was something with those controllers on those particular machines or what.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
So did you get it?????

I actually bought 2 of them for $380 shipped. ( The deal got better in quantity)

They are the standard large towers, so generic power supply's & other components are available.

So far so good.

Now gotta scare up a couple used monitors on the cheap !

I might just get one more of them, so I can have one & my kids can each have one.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
After cross checking Newegg and Tigerdirect [I'd ordered from both before] in an off chance they had a better deal, I snagged one too. Thanks for the link Tom!

I went with the 270; they said these were newer revision boards and they hadn't seen any failures when I asked about the capitors. Supposed to be standard size on this one too. I built one several years ago with a 875P chipset and was rather pleased even though I was able to bottle neck the Southbridge way before a pair of Cheetah's in raid0 ran out; I think the 865 is pretty close. Regardless, I'm 99.9% sure it will be overkill for it's destination! :mrgreen:

benspawpaw

:punk:i have an ibm netvista cpu i bought rebuilt with dual core and windows xp for $125 they had dells for $100 here in nw ga at a store called gigabytes they are in the phone book for calhoun georgia not new computers but good for internet play:thumb: