• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

PC Synchronization software?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got a new laptop and want to keep it in sync with my existing laptop.

Is there a good freeware product out there?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
rsync is built into RH and CentOS Linux distros. Maybe others but I've never checked.

I have not looked for one for Windows.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
What do you mean by "in sync"? 100% the entire thing including applications, configurations and data or do you only need data?

I'm actually going to side-step your question and ask what are you actually trying to accomplish by syncing between the two laptops?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave,

I just got a new laptop.

As soon as I can find/get a USB cable to direct connect them, I'm going to use the Windows Files & Settings transfer tool to copy my old PC's "stuff" to the new PC. This will get me all my drivers, applications, files...

Once completed with the initial load, my idea was to try to keep them in sync with each other and I then have a "backup" laptop that's ready at any time.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave,

I just got a new laptop.

As soon as I can find/get a USB cable to direct connect them, I'm going to use the Windows Files & Settings transfer tool to copy my old PC's "stuff" to the new PC. This will get me all my drivers, applications, files...

Once completed with the initial load, my idea was to try to keep them in sync with each other and I then have a "backup" laptop that's ready at any time.

Too much effort for very little gain. Just keep the old one around for an emergency and if needed pop the hard drive from the new one into the old one to access needed data.

Personally, I would never ever consider using the transfer tool to migrate to a new laptop, since that will copy all the extra crap that windows accumulates as you use it. IMHO you will be much happier just installing your applications fresh and then copying your data only to the new one.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK :(

Now I'm going to have to go find all my drivers, application CD's...

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
OK :(

Now I'm going to have to go find all my drivers, application CD's...

All the drivers will either already be on the new computer, or newer versions are available online.

Application disks should be in your desk drawer...I think the middle left drawer, in the back.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Due to work, I have a lot of applications and other settings I need to keep.
Unfortunately, many come in via e-mail attachments or other means. My main issue/concern is connectivity tools.

Application disks should be in your desk drawer...I think the middle left drawer, in the back.
That's exactly where they should be but my office unit doesn't have that "middle left drawer" which is where all software should be kept. :furious:

Here's one of 2 shelves that are loaded with CD's and software. Each is 3 piles deep by 3 piles wide.

Attachments

• CIMG6380.jpg
    CIMG6380.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 65

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian,
Once you have the new laptop up and going just schedule a backup job once a day to a usb attached external hard drive. Then you could load the backup data to the other laptop once every few weeks. A manual process but I don't know of a better way.

Dave and Jeremy are right about using the newest drivers. This can save you other headaches.