• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Air Card External Antenna

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a USB air card for my laptop. It works great in most places. At my cabin I do have 3 of 5 bars for signal but my connection is fairly slow. I know different towers have different equipment that can effect this. I know of places where I may only have 1 bar but the speed is pretty good. Anyway I want to buy an external antenna for at my cabin that I could permanently mount on my steel roof. So the car or the RV antenna would work but since I don't know jack about antenna what should I be looking for as for specifications. Here is an example of what some antennas tout. What is important to me. I am hoping to gain some speed but more right now unless I stick my air card out the window at my cabin it doesn't work. This will allow me to keep the window closed with the 13 foot cable.

I am looking on this web page.

Specifications
Frequency Range 806-894MHz, 1850-1990MHz Impedance 50 Ohms Antenna Gain 5.12dBi (806-894MHz), 6.12dBi (1850-1990MHz) System Gain 10 - 15dB Radiation Omni Polarization Vertical Wavelength 0.9 (806-894MHz), 1.95 (1850-1990MHz) Ground Plane Built-In Ground Plane Connector FME Female Coax Cable 12' RG-58 Height 32.625" Mount Standard CB 3/8" * 24 Thread

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a similar antenna made by Wilson Antennas for my sprint card. In this link I got the Dual Band Magnet Mount.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Jerry,

I will have to check more into that one. It is a lot less expensive. My cabin has a steel roof on it and at one time I had to standard cell phone mag mount on the roof but the wind kept blowing it off. I would have to get a ladder and put it back up again. But the one you show is a lot shorter and maybe the wind won't effect it.

Thanks for the link.

murph

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You may need the adapter too. I did. The antenna cable is supposedly 8.5' long. But I think mine came about 10'.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I will need about 15 feet total. I think I can buy a 10 foot extension pretty easily