• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New camera Nikon D40

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Since I now have a good reason for taking more and better pictures, I have upgraded to a brand spanking new Nikon D40 DSLR camera. I can't wait to start staking pictures where the quality is sure to blow away my little Canon ELPH pocket camera. The wife will be very happy too, as the shutter reaction time on the DSLR is nearly instantaneous, and she has had difficulty in the past with the lag time on the point and shoot.

I know there are newer and better DSLR's than the D40, but I was budget constrained, and the quality will far surpass anything I have taken since I put away my Minolta Maxxum 7000i about 6 years ago.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
One would have thought if one is going to brag up a new camera he would have at least posted a pic with the bragging?? :poke:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
One would have thought if one is going to brag up a new camera he would have at least posted a pic with the bragging?? :poke:

A pic of the camera or a pic taken with the camera? NO pictures taken with it yet, as it just showed up via UPS, and it's still in the box. If you want a picture of the camera itself, here ya go...

pic_001_l.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's the exact camera I've been thinking of getting.

I'd sure like to see some pics coming out of it.

Where did you get it? Costco (like a Sam's Club) had them nicely priced a few weeks back and I almost grabbed one.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Where did you get it? Costco (like a Sam's Club) had them nicely priced a few weeks back and I almost grabbed one.

Precisely. Costco has the package with the body, the 18mm-55mm lens, the 55mm-200mm lens and a 2GB SD card for $550 + tax & shipping.

:blink: I just checked the costco.com web site, and the package is no longer listed! Perhaps your local store has it still.

I was originally looking at the Canon XSi, but the Live View, 12 megapixel sensor and image stabilization weren't worth the cost IMHO.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I was thinking of this one, but wanted the 10 mgpixels or whatever, went to the d80, and could not be happier. I do want the standard whatever 50/85 mm lens that Nikon has for 100 bucks. Got the sb 400 flash and the remote, the fast 4 gig card...........caution you have to have the adapter to get the pics off this card, it comes with ONE. I got the 18 to 135 I think, 5.6 lens, just over a gran in it, but damn nice pics...........

these are some I did tonite, not been thru the elements for dressing them up yet though.

the last 2 have been edited in photoshop elements, cropped and dressed up some...........still nice though

Attachments

• DSC_2723.jpg
    DSC_2723.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_2724.jpg
    DSC_2724.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_2728.jpg
    DSC_2728.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_2718.jpg
    DSC_2718.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_27241.jpg
    DSC_27241.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_27231.jpg
    DSC_27231.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 86

jwstewar

Didn't know if anyone would see this in the other thread under Misc. Consumers, and since it actually fits better here. I'll post it here as well.:mrgreen:

I was reading this thread earlier today. We had a Kodak 5MP Point and Shoot that we really liked before the house fire. We then bought a Kodak 10 MP that we have hated. Doesn't take a decent indoor shot no matter what you do and no matter how I hold it, it says I shake too much and the pictures look like crap. I've never had this with any other camera. Ended up going to Circuit City and getting a Nikon D60 with an 18 -55 lens. The camera $584. An Epson ink jet photo printer (which I've actually been wanting, but hadn't bought since we bought a color laser), a DSLR for Dummies book, Firedog training, and a photo album & 20 pictures from Snapfish were all included for free. Didn't think it was too bad of deal. B&H were more expensive, but the 1WayPhoto had it for $515 w/ free shipping, but then I would've had to wait until late next week before I got it. I'm an impatient person, I wanted it to play with this weekend.

I've never used an SLR before, so this should be interesting. Can't wait for the battery to charge so that I can play with it. I think I'm going to start looking online to see if I can find a Nikon 55 - 200 lens for a good price. One of the biggest reasons we want this is for school activities, so we think we want something that will allow us to zoom pretty good.

The reason why we went with the 60 over the 40 is, it is 10.2 MP vs. the 6 and the biggie is the image stabilization. The 60 has it, but the 40 doesn't. Just an FYI I found a 70 - 300 Nikon for $149 from a place called 1WAYPHOTO.COM. Anyone ever heard of them or used them?

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I had a link to a website that had retailer grading on it, how good they were on this or that, but cant find it now.

As a consolation, try adorama.com. they have comparable pricing and I have bought from them off the site and thru ebay, very good to deal with and legit company also.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter