• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Reversing Diabeties?

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Is it possible to reverse diabeties? Maybe. Check out the video and tell me whatcha think!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSUw9SaPLmA"]YouTube - Raw for 30 Days new trailer[/ame]

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I learned the hard way that there are several different types of diabetes. The most common (90% of people with diabetes) is Type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes often considered a 'lifestyle' disease so a change in lifestyle (diet, exercise, etc) can have a very profound effect.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease and your body simply stops producing natural insulin because that part of your pancreas shuts down, that is currently not considered reversible and require insulin injections typically injections with every meal and again at bedtime. It can also be treated with a wearable pump that slowly injects insulin into the body.

My daughter is a type 1, she currently gives herself an average of 5 shots a day, we hope to have her on a pump before the end of the year.

American Woman

Site Supporter
I learned the hard way that there are several different types of diabetes. The most common (90% of people with diabetes) is Type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes often considered a 'lifestyle' disease so a change in lifestyle (diet, exercise, etc) can have a very profound effect.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease and your body simply stops producing natural insulin because that part of your pancreas shuts down, that is currently not considered reversible and require insulin injections typically injections with every meal and again at bedtime. It can also be treated with a wearable pump that slowly injects insulin into the body.

My daughter is a type 1, she currently gives herself an average of 5 shots a day, we hope to have her on a pump before the end of the year.
I hope this for her too....it IS very serious

daedong

Reversal of symptoms only, not a cure, you can only control the disease.

I would challenge any Type 2 diabetic that thinks they are cured to take a glucose tolerance test. Yes you can alleviate the symptoms, you can change your diet and life style to allow you to stop taking medication, but to this point in time there is no cure. Anyone that says differently does not know what they are talking about.

However there is a suggestion that radical surgery (removal of the duodenum) may cure type 2 diabetes. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00566215

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I read pretty much everything I can find about diabetes now that we are dealing with it, while I pay far less attention to Type 2 diabetes, I believe your statement is correct. Diet and lifestyle changes can do some amazing things to control the disease and alleviate some/most of the issues but there is no known 'cure' of the disease from what I can tell.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten

My dad has type 2 and he was able to reverse (symptoms) it by going on the South Beach Diet. However, as soon as he went back to his normal ways it was right back. I worry about myself as I get up there in age and my weight is moving up faster.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have removed CityGirl's posts due to nasty complaints from lawyers of the Author.

Links are allowed, and partial pastes with a link is normally allowed if the site the data comes from also allows you to post their material. Please be careful what you post folks.

Cityboy

Banned
I have removed CityGirl's posts due to nasty complaints from lawyers of the Author.

Links are allowed, and partial pastes with a link is normally allowed if the site the data comes from also allows you to post their material. Please be careful what you post folks.

How about a little more detailed clarification on this Doc. I understand you did what you had to do to protect yourself, and I have no problem whatsoever with that. People post tons of articles here. How can you know who allows their information to be reposted or not? Did CG not post a link? Could what CG posted have been done so in a different manner that would not have upset the lawyers? It would seem to me the author of an article would want the additional publicity and free advertising as long as credit was given, because I think the guy wrote a book, right?

How often does something like this happen? It would seem that these lawyers are not doing the author any favors because nobody here ever heard of the guy (including me) before CG posted his article. I know she gave the author credit and did not claim credit for it herself. So now, I, and everybody else here will percieve the author as a jerk, and we will now not seek out his his work, as beneficial as it could have been. So this author, as a result of his overzealous lawyers, missed hundred's, if not thousands of book purchases. But, then what the heck. Their parents spent all that money on law school, so they must know something about economics that we, the great unwashed don't know.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about a little more detailed clarification on this Doc. I understand you did what you had to do to protect yourself, and I have no problem whatsoever with that. People post tons of articles here. How can you know who allows their information to be reposted or not? Did CG not post a link? Could what CG posted have been done so in a different manner that would not have upset the lawyers? It would seem to me the author of an article would want the additional publicity and free advertising as long as credit was given, because I think the guy wrote a book, right?

How often does something like this happen? It would seem that these lawyers are not doing the author any favors because nobody here ever heard of the guy (including me) before CG posted his article. I know she gave the author credit and did not claim credit for it herself. So now, I, and everybody else here will percieve the author as a jerk, and we will now not seek out his his work, as beneficial as it could have been. So this author, as a result of his overzealous lawyers, missed hundred's, if not thousands of book purchases. But, then what the heck. Their parents spent all that money on law school, so they must know something about economics that we, the great unwashed don't know.

General etiquette is to post part of the article and a link to read the rest of the article. However the firm representing this author said that this particular web site warned explicitly about not posting there articles or pictures on any other web site. This was by far the sternest copyright letter I've ever received.
It does not happen often. Most want the links and the publicity like you suggested. For whatever reason others do not want their data published anywhere else, but they want a link. This way they maintain control of the data. If they want to change a part of it they can. With medical info I can sure understand that.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
we hope to have her on a pump before the end of the year.

Bob, my son was finally able to get on the pump. I know it's going to be better for him. He is terrible in monitoring his levels. If I remember right, he got on with some kind of program where the pump was free if he did certain things, I don't know what they were though. He's had some issues with the lines and the infusion sites but he seems to think it's a great deal even with all of that. He told us some of the prices of pumps are up over $5000.

He's older than Melen and probably not as active, but for him it seems to be working out real well.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Murph, its an 'insulin pump' that literally pumps a steady stream of insulin into your body. Its about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and it works with a sensor that tracks, and charts your blood sugar level. Melen has one, but is not yet using the pump portion of it, she is only using the monitor and charting function. The pump manufacturer and hospital typically start people on a pump and then later get them to use the monitor/sensors to track blood sugar. In Melens case they reversed it and started her with the monitor/sensor functionality and will be getting her on the pump functions later (hopefully still this year).

If you are really curious, here is a link: http://www.minimed.com/products/insulinpumps/

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks Bob, I did go to the web page you posted. Medtronics is a Minnesota Based Company. I have a close friend that worked there for many years and just semi retired from there.

The pump, I have never heard of it before. It looks like it has to beat taking shots and constantly testing yourself. And with it's size Melon has to be able to lead a normal life. I hope all works out well for her when they do get her on it fully.

Murph

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I read pretty much everything I can find about diabetes now that we are dealing with it, while I pay far less attention to Type 2 diabetes, I believe your statement is correct. Diet and lifestyle changes can do some amazing things to control the disease and alleviate some/most of the issues but there is no known 'cure' of the disease from what I can tell.

No Bob, there isn't.
Steven Durkin 6/7/60-8/24/02

I sincerely hope with all my heart that your daughter can benefit somehow from any advances made in current research and treatment of this disease we call diabetes.
Steve was diagnosed at age 17. He passed away from hypoglycemic shock at age 42 while I was gone, spending the day shopping with friends.
He'd always been very brittle, but you wouldn't have guessed that if you'd known him.
To this day I at times beat myself up over not being there and preventing it.
In his case, there would have been little I could have done had I been there and considering the lack of attention on the part of his doctors who tried to treat him best, switching back and forth between Humalin and porcine insulin.
His body just got tired and gave up.
Supporting diabetes research will always be a part of my life because it took the one who was most beautiful from my world way too soon.
Hugs and all the best to darling Melen.:wink:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is some interesting news: :mrgreen:

http://health.yahoo.com/news/afp/healthaustraliadiabetes_080818042928.html

Australian scientists develop potential "blockbuster" diabetes drug

SYDNEY (AFP) - Australian :smileyAUS: researchers Monday said they had developed a drug which could potentially spell an end to a life-threatening condition caused by diabetes, heart disease and other illnesses.

Scientists from the University of Melbourne and the city's St Vincent's Hospital said the drug had been shown in animal trials to prevent fibrosis, the build-up of irreversible scarring on internal organs.

There are currently no treatments on the market for fibrosis and the new drug, called FT-11, could be as important a discovery as blood pressure drugs if effective, said Professor Darren Kelly of the University of Melbourne.

"It would be an enormous blockbuster drug with an initial market of around 2.0 billion dollars," he said.

Kelly said while the drug would not prevent diabetes -- a chronic illness in which the body fails to produce enough of the hormone insulin to process sugar -- it could prevent complications such as kidney or heart disease.

"We are hoping to delay or prevent those complications which would basically keep those patients off dialysis -- which would have a huge benefit for their lifestyle," Kelly told AFP.

The drug, expected to be tested in clinical trials within 12 months, could be used to prevent diabetic kidney disease, heart disease and potentially other health problems such as liver and lung fibrosis, he said.

Speaking to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Kelly said about 45 percent of diseases in the developed world could be associated with some sort of pathological fibrosis.

"We know at the moment in rat studies that our compound inhibited the development of fibrosis, and the interesting thing in the future would be to see whether we can actually reverse fibrosis," he said.