• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Upgrade Office 2003 to 2007

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have Office 2003 on my computer right now. I have the 2007 package now and am thinking of upgrading. However, my Outlook program I have about 80 Unread Emails. I leave them as Unread meaning I have to do something with them. I just don't have time to get to them. If I upgrade will it during the process mark all of my Emails as Read? Does anyone have any experience with this and can answer my question?

murph

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is Outlook included in Office now? I'm still running Office 2000. Does all I need. But A complete install of MS Office never included outlook. It just included Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access.
Even if Outlook is included I believe you can select each componet individually. I would not upgrade Outlook until you have read everything in your inbox, but chances are it would not change the read / not read email markings.

AndyM

Charter Member
Office has always included Outlook...perhaps you just don't have it installed.

I believe all of the versions of Office 2000 and Office 2003 included Outlook.
However, the "Home and Student" edition of Office 2007 does not include Outlook. It only has Excel, Word, and Powerpoint, but at a bargain price of $119.

Maybe if Murph is worried about unread emails being marked as read, he could do one of two things, just in case. First, he could "flag" all of the unread emails (so they have the little red flag next to them. Or he could create a mail folder for the unread emails. If they get marked as read during the upgrade, he could simply mark them back to unread and then move all of them back to his inbox.

Word of warning, Office 2007 is different than the previous versions and takes some getting used to finding where everything is.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Maybe if Murph is worried about unread emails being marked as read, he could do one of two things, just in case. First, he could "flag" all of the unread emails (so they have the little red flag next to them. Or he could create a mail folder for the unread emails.

Word of warning, Office 2007 is different than the previous versions and takes some getting used to finding where everything is.

Andy,

Good ideas. The flagging them would be pretty easy.

As getting use to it I have heard that it is different. My daughter has it on her computer and maybe I should play around with it a bit first before I do the install.

The program came with no book or instructions but is Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007.

Murph

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Is there any compelling reason you want to switch to the newer version?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten

Is there any compelling reason you want to switch to the newer version?

No compelling reason at all. I got the package free. I also have a couple of employees that want to update to it and said they would buy the package themselves. They can't put the program on their computer until I give them permission. I thought I would try it out first and see how it works before I let some employees put it on their computer and make a mess for me. I am in no rush to do it.

murph

AndyM

Charter Member

That's for sure! Just because it's newer, doesn't mean it's better.

I prefer Office 2003, but had to upgrade to 2007 at work... then one of our computers at home needed replacing and I got stuck with the double whammy of Windows Vista and Office 2007.

Outlook is the most similar to the previous versions, and Excel is the most screwed up from 2003. I still struggle finding many of the features in Excel and Word.

They can't put the program on their computer until I give them permission. I thought I would try it out first and see how it works before I let some employees put it on their computer and make a mess for me.

It's mostly a preference issue... check out your daughter's copy and see how you like navigating through it... if you like it, install it. If you don't, then it's your call if the employees get to use it or not.

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
2007 has "Windows Mail" as the Outlook replacement, they are one in the same. Everything goes from 2003 when upgrading to 2007.

BTW ........ when you upgrade get ready to learn a new mapping and tools configuration!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
2007 has "Windows Mail" as the Outlook replacement, they are one in the same. Everything goes from 2003 when upgrading to 2007.

BTW ........ when you upgrade get ready to learn a new mapping and tools configuration!

Windows Mail is a Vista application (I'm assuming it replaces Outlook Express?). Office provides the Outlook email client application.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Windows Mail is a Vista application (I'm assuming it replaces Outlook Express?). Office provides the Outlook email client application.

You are correct .......... Outlook Express was what I was referring to, my bad! I don't use Outlook at home, only work BUT it will do the swap of contacts to 2003 to 2007 in Office.