• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

MAC Address

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I want to set up some policies on my wireless routers and put some time schedules in for operation. I can do this by IP or by MAC address. IP's change but MAC's don't so I would like to do it by MAC address. However, I am having problems finding the MAC address of some computers. From a DOS command I can do a "getmac" command and it comes up on my computer but none of the others. I went into help on each of the other computers and it does not tell me a command or how to find the MAC. Does anyone here know how to find the MAC on computers. I am looking for the MAC of the computer.

murph

Gatorboy

IF you are running Windows 2000 or XP:

Go to your Start Menu and select Run ...
From that dialog box, type CMD
Now, from the Command Window type ipconfig /all

You should find your physical address from that dump.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks Gator, I was doing the "ipconfig" without the "all" and was only getting the IP address.

murph

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
IF you are running Windows 2000 or XP:

Go to your Start Menu and select Run ...
From that dialog box, type CMD
Now, from the Command Window type ipconfig /all

You should find your physical address from that dump.

and if it scrolls off the screen, type ipconfig /all|more that will give you a screen full at a time.

Jim

PS - the vertical bar is the pipe symbol. Its upper case of the backslash on a lot of keyboards.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I can see it in one screen. Can you do a command to see all the MAC's using your router? I know of "netstat" but that does not do it.

murph

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
What kind of router? The ones I have used have a screen that shows who is attached, including their MAC.

First you have to log into the router; there isn't a command like netstat that will pull that info from the router.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
It is a Linksys WR54G. I can get into it but I have not found a place that shows anything other than it's own IP, MAC and connection IP.

murph

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have a DHCP Client List in your routers screen? All of the computers that have signed in through my router have the IP address and MAC address listed there.