• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Foodie Questions!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Do you visit other boards to get foodie advice? Recipies?
Do you have food related topics you would like to share?
ANNNNNND how much does food play in your life? :idea:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sushi, I believe that eating should be an adventure. When I travel I seek out unusual cuisine. My daughter was taken to restaurants starting at a very young age and will eat most things that kids her age would not consider as food. My partner in my retail stores once said that I put things in my mouth that don't even belong in a kitchen . . . I took that as a compliment. He pretty much refuses to go out to lunch with me unless he gets to pick the destination.

Our cupboard has simple and exotic foods. From tuna to snails. Pink, grey, red and black salts. I love to snack on various imported salamis, often drizzled with an aged balsamic reduction. Calamari, dove, rabbits, cuttlefish . . . you name it, I probably like it raw, seared, basted or BBQ'd.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Now that sounds great! Gets me hungry thinking about it.
BTW, that pink salt is NOT cheap. I bought 5 different salts for my aunt last Xmas and that one was the most expensive. I didnt have a chance to try it. :( How is it????????

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Fairly low actually. Seafood + BBQ = low calories (usually)
Done by Joe Shmoe it generally has a lot of salt. But the well trained chef could use the right amount of this and that so the salt is not that high.

The objective is to have mutiple levels of flavor. To give it a dimension.

But Seafood BBQ is fairly easy yo pull off if you have a grill. Generally it is heavy with garlic and has a dash of middle Eastern spices that join southern America. Its FANTASTIC!!!! :rock:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sushi, also it makes some difference if the BBQ is a dry rub or a sauce.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob have you tried quandong?
Vin, not sure what that is? Can you translate Australian into American or is it something that I should already know and simply don't?
Darn tootin'!!! :thumb: Which do you prefer with what we are talking about?
For fish/shellfish I prefer dry rubs. For fowl, pork, beef, buffalo, ostrich, etc I prefer BBQ sauce. But I've had many dry rubs that are good too.

I had intended on taking the lovely Mrs_B out to dinner last night but she was too tired. We were going to a Oriental~Fusion restaurant in Homewood, IL called Bamboo Blue. Been there before. It gets mixed reviews, but our experience was positive. The food is an unusual mix with an Oriental influence and a good beer selection. Sometimes a good beer is all you need to compliment a good meal.

daedong

Bob no translation needed its a native Australian fruit. It is not sweet and high in tannin. It is used in many ways from marinades to dessert. The nicest way I have found to eat it is as a chutney/sauce on BBQ meat.

I have never tried this particular product but guess it is similar to the homemade ones I have tried.
http://www.bushtuckershop.com/prod64.htm
When we come to the US I will try and bring you a sample.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I looked it up in Google. I'm not familiar with it in any form. I'm not sure if we have that here in the US.

urednecku

Site Supporter
Ya gotta eat to live! Most anything can be good, if it's fixed right. As for BBQ, yup, love it! Don't forget, the wood you use can make as big a difference in the flavor as the spices you put on the food. I love to cook over citrus wood. Even different citrus variety's can have a different flavor. (ie..lemon wood or orange? ) I would imagine 'up north' & 'out west' ya'll have your favorite woods, also.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Chicken with Garlic and Onion in the DO

Attachments

• cooking.JPG
    cooking.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 91
  • ready to cook.JPG
    ready to cook.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 94
  • ready to eat.JPG
    ready to eat.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 95

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Foodie question for Sushi...

What's the connection between Five Easy Pieces and spam a la Monty Python? Which came first? Did one influence the other?