• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cool Little Linux/XP Notebooks from ASUS

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Check out these little gems. Diskless notebooks preloaded with Linux and capable of running XP. Priced between $300 and $400 depending on built-in memory. All the usual I/O and expansion options plus webcam, less PCMCIA. A couple of guys I know got them for field work, and so far they rate them FFFF (ForumsForums Five Fumbs up). :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220246

Attachments

• 34-220-246-06.jpg
    34-220-246-06.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 191
  • PC 4G.jpg
    PC 4G.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 192

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Way cool. That is awesome. They should be little speed demons since there is not disk latency involved in fetching and writing data. :thumb:

Sounds like just what I need for the houseboat. :hide: :D

Rep points for Bob. Good find!!!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. 10 seconds. Amazing.
Did you got one? Any other observations? What OS boots in 10 seconds?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
The 10secs was power-on to Xwindows wth Linux.

OK, I ordered one. Will be a week or so before I can get home to pick it up, then a little more time to do a review. I got the high-end one with all of the offered options. It comes with Linux, but I got XP as well to try a little dual-booting. Anyone tried nLite? http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

Attachments

• asus.jpg
    asus.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With the availability of large USB drives for storing lots of data, I predict these little puppies will take over the laptop market.
I look forward to your review.

I'd never heard of nlite until your post. Looks very interesting though. Imagine being able to install just the parts of Windows that you want. What a concept. Good find.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Got it. Came in 4 small boxes from 3 different states! Somehow they all arrived at the same time. Definately over packed. This first picture is the 1G memory upgrade that was somewhere under packing peanuts, bubble wrap, and an anti-static bag twice the necessary size. I think most companies would have just sent it in a small padded envelope. Second picture, memory upgrade installed. Anyone need a 512M memory module?

Attachments

• Styro.jpg
    Styro.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 127
  • mem.jpg
    mem.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 120

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
But before I installed the memory, I had to take care of some pressing business...slamming GroomerGuy (with a SnoOps bonus thrown in). Priorities, man.

The hatching seen in the picture is completely un-seen in real life. I even took out a jewelers loupe and could only see the individuals pixels. I assume it is a scan artifact that the camera is fast enough to capture. In real life the screen is amazingly crisp and clear for its small size. The promo picture at the top of this thread does not exaggerate in clarity or viewing angle. Viewing angles are wide. More detailed pictures of the display later.

Attachments

• screen 1.jpg
    screen 1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I am looking for something that I can use for internet, email on yahoo, put on my network and do some word or something like that on. All the docs etc are saved on the server so HD space is not a thing, and if I do need to carry it, I have a 120 gig hd...............does this thing have powered USB, as in my 120 requires a port with power.

might be just what the doc ordered.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
It does have 3 powered USBs. My thumb drives, even the 8G, run just fine. I have a 250G USB drive that powers up from the ports, but doesn't get recognized by the system. I'm sure it's just a driver issue and will resolve it as time permits.

Meanwhile, she comes fully loaded with OpenOffice 2.0 which includes a full-featured word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation applications. All can import and export MSOffice formats.

Attachments

• P1280001.jpg
    P1280001.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 123
  • P1280002.jpg
    P1280002.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 120
  • P1280003.jpg
    P1280003.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I want one!!!! Those things are going to sell themselves.

Just for fun - I used to have something superficially similar (assigned by my employer, I couldn't afford $3,600), an HP 110. http://oldcomputers.net/hp110.html But its total ram and data storage together was only 272k! Sounds like a joke, but I cranked out a lot of Lotus spreadsheets on that dog, for example an employee timecard/project cost dbs covering 30 people. ANY computer was day/night better than the hand-push tools it obsoleted.

I've been continually amazed at the evolution of the pc. When a new generation emerges it blows away everything before it.

I don't need another laptop but it's a temptation to get one like yours, just because.

daedong

They are being advertised here for about $485 AU, includes taxes etc. If I buy locally I can claim it through my business which means I get the GST (taxes) back. I am going to the big smoke next weekend to try and organise flight tickets etc. While there I will look at the notebook, probably will buy, they seem cheap enough here.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
If that's for the 4G unit with no options, and you get your tax back (which I bet is a lot over there), then you are doing at least as good as you'd do over here.

Just looked it up, your VAT (@~10%) is about half the EU rate, so not as bad as I feared.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Using info from a support group at http://www.eeeuser.com, I enabled a full KDE desktop. Nice! While the default mode was very easy and simple, especially for first time Linux users, I wanted more.

This post created on the new laptop, including uploading picture from USB-connected camera.

Attachments

• P2030042.jpg
    P2030042.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

daedong

I was in the big smoke on the weekend and bought one, it was $488 au. seems like a great little unit.
Thanks for your help Bob