• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help, I need a PC

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK guys, I really need some help. I've already gone to the 'dark side' and purchased a Windows Vista computer this year, and boy oh boy do I regret that purchase. Now I need another Windows computer and do not want Vista.

The problem is it seems that everything comes with Vista.

Can I buy a new computer and get XP preloaded on it? Who makes/sells them that way?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
OK guys, I really need some help. I've already gone to the 'dark side' and purchased a Windows Vista computer this year, and boy oh boy do I regret that purchase. Now I need another Windows computer and do not want Vista.

The problem is it seems that everything comes with Vista.

Can I buy a new computer and get XP preloaded on it? Who makes/sells them that way?
Try Dell business, not home or SOHO. You will probably need to talk to a real person, plus raise a stink. You will not be able to do it online.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks!!!

I just sent the links to one of my computer guys to have him configure a system for me. After trying to trouble shoot some printer issues yesterday from the Vista computer at my retail store, I know for fact that I will not be buying another Windows Vista system until they do a dramatic overhaul of that OS. What a P-O-S OS! My retail store has an old Win 98, an XP Server(?) and a new Vista. And will soon have a new XP. The Old Win 98 will be replaced with a 2 year old XP box that I am currently not using, but need to move to the store. That will standardize me on XP, with the one exception of the Vista box.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
It might be simpler to just buy the XP cd and start from there. It's available at Fry's. You might pass this Fry's link along to your tech.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Try Dell business, not home or SOHO. You will probably need to talk to a real person, plus raise a stink. You will not be able to do it online.

I just bought a laptop from Dell Business, It came with XP.

I can't help much with anything else as I am a MAC guy.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just bought a laptop from Dell Business, It came with XP.

I can't help much with anything else as I am a MAC guy.
I'm a MAC guy too! If I could get Quickbooks Professional Retail to run on my MAC, along with a proprietary security system software, then I would have the entire retail operation on MACs at all my stores!

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I'm a MAC guy too! If I could get Quickbooks Professional Retail to run on my MAC, along with a proprietary security system software, then I would have the entire retail operation on MACs at all my stores!

What I like about the Pc is #1 they're cheap #2 I use mine for internet and Quickbooks Pro, but there are a lot more utility programs eg: youtube download, photo resizers, music crap available. Sometimes low end stuff does have it's place.

When I go out in the snowy woods to fix something I don't bring my snap-on I bring my craftsman.

This is what my buddy picked for me so far so good.

Item Number Quantity Item Description
223-4361
1 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
320-5543
1 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife™
311-7261
1 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
320-5558
1 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
341-4886
1 160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
420-7180
420-7291
420-7312
1 Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition