• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What does/do the ip mean after the....

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I = Interlaced
P = Progressive

They have to do with the type/quality of signal that can be fed to the TV. LCD and plasma screens actually display the image in progressive format, but there is a difference on the input side of the device.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
More details...

Interlaced - the complete picture on the screen is made by 'drawing' every other line on the screen, then going back over it and drawing the lines that were skipped last time.

Progressive - Each line is drawn in order.

Your standard old tube style TVs have always been interlaced.

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
Sorry for the late reply. So with that being said BOB, is one any better than the other? I've been thinking of updating my TV and want to get something that might/may be the better of the two. Hope you/someone replies with their opinion and thanks once again in advance.

richfolkes

Gerard said:
I've been thinking of updating my TV and want to get something that might/may be the better of the two.

Gerard, the best of them all is 1080p (or Full HD). This is the type of TV you need in order to play Blu-Ray or HD-DVD discs. Unfortunately, you pay a premium on 1080p TV's. A 42" 1080p set will cost around $2,000.00 (Australian Dollars) more than a 1080i set of the same size. Also, a 1080p device is essential for those who want to make the most of the video capabilities of Windows Vista. And if you're planning to use a media centre PC to play Blu-Ray or HD-DVD movies, then Vista is vital since none of the features for using a 1080p set to its full potential will make their way to Windows Xp. Which is another thing that makes Vista the worst OS ever. And thus another way Microsoft is trying to force computer buyers to use Vista on their systems. Also, a 1080p TV is essential if you intend to make the most of a Playstation 3 (which, incidentally, plays Bu-Ray discs).

Now, when it comes to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, both the players and the discs are quite expensive. If you can afford such equipment, by all means.

Otherwise, it would be cost efficient to stick with a 1080i TV. All digital (DVB-T) standard and high definition broadcasts are in 720i and in 720p and 1080i respectively. There are no 1080p broadcasts yet, so 1080p is still bleeding edge technology. And for most homes it's still superfluous at the moment. Until Blu-Ray and HD-DVD devices are found in every home in the same manner as DVD players are today; stick with 1080i.

You might also be thinking about the difference between LCD and Plasma TV's. Plasma TV's work on exactly the same principle as a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) or a 'standard old tube style TV' as Bob puts it. But instead of using three cathode ray guns and a matrix like a CRT, a plasma TV uses electrodes instead. Hence, plasma TV's are prone to the same 'burn in' problems as CRT TV's. Thus, they are not suitable for the rigours of public display. Which is why you see some of them on their last legs at any given Foxtel kiosk you visit at the shopping centre. Also, plasma TV's can become a fire hazard if they are left turned on constantly.

There have been cases of plasma televisions exploding like bombs. And, getting back to the Foxtel kiosk. This is why they are also housed in a cabinet with a cooling system to prevent the TV's from overheating.

LCD televisions on the other hand are immune to 'burn-in'. And they are perfect for public display areas. They do have their advantages. A couple of the drawbacks LCD televisions have is firstly the response time. The response time of an LCD TV can be up to around 20 ms. Thus you get 'ghosting' like blurs watching a video containing fast moving subjects such as the vehicles during a car chase. Secondly, there is what's called 'pixelation', in which you get a slight mosaic like look on the picture.

If you are considering an LCD set. Look very closely at the screen for pixelation and establish what the response time the set has. You will find less blurring in fast motion on a set with an 8 ms response time than on one with a 16 ms response time. If you are considering a plasma set. Make sure you place it in a well ventilated area where you can keep it cool.

On a completely different note. There is another interesting fact about colour television. The standards used around the world. NTSC (National Television Standards Commission), which is used in the US; works on the same principle as the old black and white TV's, where each line is drawn horizontally across the screen in one direction. PAL (Phase Alternate Line), which is used in Australia. works by drawing the screen by way of one line being drawn from left to right, the next being drawn from right to left and so on. The framerate of NTSC video is 29.97 fps while the framerate of the PAL system is 25fps.

Because PAL scans each line in alternate directions, the resolution is slightly higher than NTSC and there is a clearer picture despite the slower framerate.

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
Thanks for the in depth reply richfolkes! I'm still looking and hope to have what I want by Spring. Your info will most certainly be used in my search. Thanks again. :thumb:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Thanks for the in depth reply richfolkes! I'm still looking and hope to have what I want by Spring. Your info will most certainly be used in my search. Thanks again. :thumb:

Whooaa, hold on there, the other day, I saw on the Tube that the new TV will be lazer based... so before you get your new LCD/LED/Projector/whatever out of the box, it may be outdated already...

Oh, then of on the radio tonite coming back from town, I heard they have a new screen coming out that is credit card thick and 60" screen.... That was only a couple of days apart... Tomorrow, is anyone's guess, could be fully 3D....

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, I heard about the credit card thick screen. Amazing. And we also have the option of going with a ceiling unit that would project the pictures on the wall.
We have so many options and new stuff coming out all the time. Last time I bought it took me over a year to zero in on what to buy. One thing for sure, whatever you buy will be obsolete by some standards very soon after your purchase.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep, I heard about the credit card thick screen. Amazing. And we also have the option of going with a ceiling unit that would project the pictures on the wall.
We have so many options and new stuff coming out all the time. Last time I bought it took me over a year to zero in on what to buy. One thing for sure, whatever you buy will be obsolete by some standards very soon after your purchase.

Screw it....I just want chips inserted onto my optical nerve that project a simulated 120" hi-def screen directly into my brain.

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter

I totally agree and that's why I'm trying to find "the one" that will be up-convertible (at the least) with features for the future.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I totally agree and that's why I'm trying to find "the one" that will be up-convertible (at the least) with features for the future.

Find a fence with a knot hole in it, pretty hard to upgrade the basics. Then for audio, get a couple of cans and run a string between them, pretty basic and both highly dependable....

richfolkes

[/QUOTE=fogtender]
Whooaa, hold on there, the other day, I saw on the Tube that the new TV will be lazer based... so before you get your new LCD/LED/Projector/whatever out of the box, it may be outdated already...[/QUOTE]

This is something I should investigate. But still, outdated doesn't mean it's outlived its usefulness.

As I said to Gerard, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players and recorders are not yet mainstream in the home. Prerecorded Blu-Ray and HD-DVD media is still quite expensive as opposed to regular DVD's. And these new laser based TV's you're referring to would still be quite expensive.

Furthermore, the latest tech stuff is superfluous to the majority of people until it becomes mainstream. You will only reap the benefits of a 1080p TV if you have any devices which utilize 1080p such as Blu-ray or HD-DVD devices. (And mind you, such devices can be quite expensive).

Currently, there are no HD broadcasts in 1080p format. Current HD broadcasting is in 720p and 1080i format. If you own a PlayStation 3, or any other device which plays Blu-Ray; by all means get a 1080p TV. Otherwise, stick with 1080i.

One must consider before buying a 1080p set or any other bleeding edge device is to also buy the peripheral equipment to justify it. As it is with a computer, you don't use a Quad Core processor with 128Mb of RAM and Windows 98. Nor do you use an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX or an ATi Radeon HD2900 in a sub $700 computer.

Ask yourself these questions. Do I really need a 1080p TV? Does the existing audio visual equipment I have justify buying the TV?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Screw it....I just want chips inserted onto my optical nerve that project a simulated 120" hi-def screen directly into my brain.
Well, not quite directly pumped into my brain, but this is getting closer!
Jan. 17, 2008
Bionic eyes: Contact lenses with circuits, lights a possible platform for superhuman vision
By Hannah Hickey
News and Information

Contact lenses with metal connectors for electronic circuits were safely worn by rabbits in lab tests. The lenses were manufactured at the microscopic level by researchers at the UW.

Movie characters from the Terminator to the Bionic Woman use bionic eyes to zoom in on far-off scenes, have useful facts pop into their field of view, or create virtual crosshairs. Off the screen, virtual displays have been proposed for more practical purposes -- visual aids to help vision-impaired people, holographic driving control panels and even as a way to surf the Web on the go.

The device to make this happen may be familiar. Engineers at the UW have for the first time used manufacturing techniques at microscopic scales to combine a flexible, biologically safe contact lens with an imprinted electronic circuit and lights.

"Looking through a completed lens, you would see what the display is generating superimposed on the world outside," said Babak Parviz, a UW assistant professor of electrical engineering. "This is a very small step toward that goal, but I think it's extremely promising." The results were presented today at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers' international conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems by Harvey Ho, a former graduate student of Parviz's now working at Sandia National Laboratories in Livermore, Calif. Other co-authors are Ehsan Saeedi and Samuel Kim in the UW's electrical engineering department and Tueng Shen in the UW Medical Center's ophthalmology department.

There are many possible uses for virtual displays. Drivers or pilots could see a vehicle's speed projected onto the windshield. Video game companies could use the contact lenses to completely immerse players in a virtual world without restricting their range of motion. And for communications, people on the go could surf the Internet on a midair virtual display screen that only they would be able to see.

"People may find all sorts of applications for it that we have not thought about. Our goal is to demonstrate the basic technology and make sure it works and that it's safe," said Parviz, who heads a multi-disciplinary UW group that is developing electronics for contact lenses.

The prototype device contains an electric circuit as well as red light-emitting diodes for a display, though it does not yet light up. The lenses were tested on rabbits for up to 20 minutes and the animals showed no adverse effects.

Ideally, installing or removing the bionic eye would be as easy as popping a contact lens in or out, and once installed the wearer would barely know the gadget was there, Parviz said.

Building the lenses was a challenge because materials that are safe for use in the body, such as the flexible organic materials used in contact lenses, are delicate. Manufacturing electrical circuits, however, involves inorganic materials, scorching temperatures and toxic chemicals. Researchers built the circuits from layers of metal only a few nanometers thick, about one thousandth the width of a human hair, and constructed light-emitting diodes one third of a millimeter across. They then sprinkled the grayish powder of electrical components onto a sheet of flexible plastic. The shape of each tiny component dictates which piece it can attach to, a microfabrication technique known as self-assembly. Capillary forces -- the same type of forces that make water move up a plant's roots, and that cause the edge of a glass of water to curve upward -- pull the pieces into position.

The prototype contact lens does not correct the wearer's vision, but the technique could be used on a corrective lens, Parviz said. And all the gadgetry won't obstruct a person's view.

"There is a large area outside of the transparent part of the eye that we can use for placing instrumentation," Parviz said. Future improvements will add wireless communication to and from the lens. The researchers hope to power the whole system using a combination of radio-frequency power and solar cells placed on the lens, Parviz said.

A full-fledged display won't be available for a while, but a version that has a basic display with just a few pixels could be operational "fairly quickly," according to Parviz.

The research was funded by the National Science Foundation and a Technology Gap Innovation Fund from the UW.

Attachments

• 20080117_pid39124_aid39100_lens_w600.jpg
    20080117_pid39124_aid39100_lens_w600.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 74