• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Virus problems........

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I don't know if I posted about this on the website (another effect of old age... not knowing what you did yesterday!), however, I had received a back door Trojan that killed my INTERNET explorer on my computer, rendering it useless until I can fix the problem. I am now using my "backup" computer to surf the web.
Today, I found this article, and having experience the problem first hand on this new computer, I have removed Google from my search engine choice. You would be well advised to be careful when you use Google as your search engine to locate thing......Click here to read the original article....
Virus experts warn of 'Google poisoning'Posted: Monday, December 3 at 12:49 pm CT by Bob Sullivan
You might want to take an extra half-second the next time you click on search engine results to make sure you know where you're going. Computer criminals have refined a sinister technique for tricking Web surfers into clicking on infected Web pages, turning search engines like Goggle into unwitting partners.

It's known as “Google poisoning,” because Google is the biggest target, but it can impact any search engine. Criminals construct booby-trapped Web pages, then dupe search engines into giving them high rankings.

Last week, security research firm Sunbelt Software found that a simple search for something like "funny dog picture" on Google directed searchers to Web sites hosted on Chinese domains. Those who clicked on the links were pushed to install a malicious program named "Spy-shredder."

Last week alone, criminals posted 40,000 to 50,000 of these malicious pages in a single, coordinated attack, said Alex Eckelberry, CEO of Sunbelt.

"What has surprised security researchers was the scale of this,” Eckelberry said. “This was a very big attack, a very fast bolt from the blue."

Those who fell for the trick suffered “a bad infection,” he added. “There was a lot of nasty software out there.”

Google removed the links from its database immediately when notified, Eckelberry said. But the criminals were back the next day with more virus-laden Web sites on different domain names.

A Google spokeswoman who declined to be identified said the company is aware of the problem and working to keep its results clean.

"Google works hard to preserve the quality of our index,” the company said in a statement. “We actively identify sites that serve malware or abuse our quality guidelines in other ways."

Not new, just more sophisticated
Publishing booby-trapped Web sites or “gaming” Google's search algorithms aren’t new practices. Readers of this column might remember a recent entry concerning Search Engine Optimization. Called "SEO" by practitioners, search engine optimization runs the spectrum from legitimate linking to affiliated Web sites to the creation of hundreds of fake sites designed to artificially inflate Google rankings, which essentially judge how many links a Web page attracts.

URLs that end in .CN could arose suspicion
But criminals are now combining SEO tactics and booby-trapped Web pages, and doing it systematically. By posting tens of thousands of Web sites simultaneously, criminals can take over all the top spots on a search results page, casting a wide net that’s more likely to catch Web users.

Eckelberry described these criminals as "SEO Gods," saying they can "take any site and get it on the first page of Google results."

'Comment spam' also a problem
In addition to cross-linking all these fake Web sites, criminals are also engaging in "comment spam" to enhance their search engine rankings, said Zulfikar Ramzon, a researcher with antivirus firm Symantec Corp. Popular blogs -- including the Red Tape Chronicles -- are regularly bombarded with computer-generated, meaningless comments that include a link to another site. By getting a link on a popular Web site, the spammer’s Google ranking improves. We try to keep comment spam off MSNBC.com, but it often slips onto blogs all around the Web.

No one knows how successful the tactic is, though Eckelberry points out the criminals wouldn't keep doing it if it didn't work. Still, even an attack of 40,000-50,000 fake Web sites still represents an infinitesimal portion of the sites in Google's index, making the odds of any individual consumer encountering a poisoned Google link still quite small.

"I don't want people to get scared of Google," he said. “Google is impressive with how quickly they remove bad sites.”

RED TAPE WRESTLING TIPS
It's wise to look both ways even when crossing a quiet street, and it's wise to take an extra glance before clicking on a search engine link. Google makes this easy by listing the URL under each search result. In the most recent attack, potential victims might have noticed the .cn suffix on the end of each domain name, a signal that the Web site might be in China and might include unexpected content.

That's not a foolproof strategy, however. Computer crooks sometimes deploy a technique called "Google cloaking," which tricks the search engine into displaying the wrong URL on search results pages, Eckelberry said.

Old advice also works well here: Keep up with security patches. This latest set of attacks relied on vulnerabilities that allow a Web site to install software onto a visiting computer without a user's knowledge. Fully patched systems merely received a pop-up window inviting users to download video software -- a much easier attack to avoid. Again, this is not a foolproof protection, but keeping your security current severely decreases your odds of being infected by Google poisoning.

Finally, Eckelberry recommends that Windows users set up separate user accounts for their children. That will limit the damage that a child can do by searching the Web with your computer.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I read the first 1/2 of the article. I think this happened to me when I did a search for new avatars awhile back. First google hit was a virus ridden site. Pissed me off to no end and had to buy software to clean it.

Sorry to hear of your problems Junk.

PS. Why is google still a word that's red/underlined as being a typo?

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
criminals are also engaging in "comment spam" to enhance their search engine rankings, said Zulfikar Ramzon, a researcher with antivirus firm Symantec Corp. Popular blogs -- including the Red Tape Chronicles -- are regularly bombarded with computer-generated, meaningless comments that include a link to another site. By getting a link on a popular Web site, the spammer’s Google ranking improves.
This may explain some of the nonsense we've seen posted here and on NTT.

The spammer doesn't have anything to say, he simply wants pointers to his website to appear on unrelated sites to boost his Google status.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is the first I've heard of the new virus. My first impression is it cannot be totally true. It takes a lot of hard work to get a google ranking. To become number one on a handful of searches could take 6 months. Anyone can buy ads, but they are labled as ads. You cannot buy SEO / google ranking. It takes time for the google bots to index the info on the site. I've been doing different test to see how to get 1st page ranking and have not figured out a sure fire way, unless you have a really obscure search. But few search on obscure phrases, so that is of limited usefulness.
So ... long way of saying if these guys figured out a way to get top rankings, they could make millions by selling their services or techniques.

Sorry to hear it got you guys. What is the name of this virus?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is the first I've heard of the new virus. My first impression is it cannot be totally true. It takes a lot of hard work to get a google ranking.
If not true, feel free to buy the software I needed to clean it.

Sorry to hear it got you guys. What is the name of this virus?
DOC
aka
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOC
HOUSEBOAT
FORUMSFORUMS
NTT

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If not true, feel free to buy the software I needed to clean it.

I meant that they cannot be tops in every category on google searches. I understand the virus is real. I'm questioning if it is as widespread for all kinds of searches as they say. That would be hard to accomplish.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
It could with the proper inbeded algorithm Doc. Bottom line is watch where you click. NEVER click on a .CN address. Its a Chinese site. Make sure you have your anti-virus functioning! Dont wait for an automatic update! Do it manually.