• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Microsoft Vista: Rated by C|net as the worst Product

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
top-10-terrible-technologies-10.jpg
Windows Vista
Any operating system that provokes a campaign for its predecessor's reintroduction deserves to be classed as terrible technology. Any operating system that quietly has a downgrade-to- previous-edition option introduced for PC makers deserves to be classed as terrible technology. Any operating system that takes six years of development but is instantly hated by hordes of PC professionals and enthusiasts deserves to be classed as terrible technology.
Windows Vista conforms to all of the above. Its incompatibility with hardware, its obsessive requirement of human interaction to clear security dialogue box warnings and its abusive use of hated DRM, not to mention its general pointlessness as an upgrade, are just some examples of why this expensive operating system earns the final place in our terrible tech list.
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029552,49293700-10,00.htm

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No wonder Apple is experiencing record sales; I'm guessing the folks at Microsoft expect great holiday sales for Windows XP.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sales of iMacs are through the roof.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I agree with Cnet. Vista was unneeded.

I bought a cheap laptop with Vista and side by side, my 2 year old XP laptop with similar specs but half the ram is a far better unit.

My first impression of Visa was that everything I recognized as new was pointless, and worse, served to slow the thing down. Plus there is a lot of unfamiliar stuff that I discovered was pointless but is essential for the machine to run, such as all those security popups that halt what you are doing until you respond, and delay the user from accomplishing anything. I just want to boot it and come back in a moment to use it, not wait to approve the daily virus DBS download then come back to confirm the 'changed file' before it completes bootup.

This laptop's purpose is simply so my wife has something to read Yahoo News with out at the ranch, and occasionally a PBS webcast. The screen is gorgeous so it is sufficient for that. I wouldn't think of using it for anything more demanding.

MS has put out dogs before. Anyone remember Dos 4.0? All the previous upgrades addressed some hardware upgrade (for example the introduction of hard drives on the pc made subdirectories necessary, therefor Dos 2.0) but 4.0 was unnecessary and, like Vista, just didn't work very well. Here we are again.

richfolkes

No wonder Microsoft has greased the palms of hardware manufacturers to make Vista specific products to prevent folks from wiping the disk and putting Xp on the machine. Vista specific means Microsoft is trying to shore up its sales of Windows Vista.

Ever gone into a computer shop and wondered why all computer for sale are runing Vista and all the ones the staff use are running Xp?

I had some Merrie Melodies finding Xp drivers to put on a Vista specific laptop (A Compaq Presario C700) after whacking on Xp.

And I think sales in Vista specific hardware items are going to plummet as well. And it'll be easier for the hardware manufacturers to shore up by releasing Xp drivers for their products.

In the meantime, wait until the manufacturer puts out Xp drivers for your new Vista specific motherboard before installing it.