• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Interesting Windows Utility Program

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Has anyone used this utility program? If so, do you like it and does it work as advertised below? I am looking for additional input as to usage and success of these types of free programs.

I found it yesterday. I installed it and then ran it once. It appears to do some good and is free. I used it on a friends notebook to do some major cleanup and it did help take care of some of the problems on this notebook.

Advanced WindowsCare Personal Edition
100% Free Download

This comprehensive PC-care utility has a one-click approach to helping protect, repair and optimize your PC. Advanced WindowsCare Personal Edition helps protect, optimize, and repair your PC –– with daily use.

Features of this fantastic, award-winning, 100% free program include:
  • Ending slow downs, freezes, crashes, and security threats.
  • Scanning and finding what other utilities miss on your PC.
  • Keeping your PC error-free and running more smoothly than ever.
  • Designed for Windows Vista, XP, and 2000.
  • Over 5,000,000 downloads since 2006.
  • Availability is free of charge for private use.
  • Plus, Advanced WindowsCare Personal is 100% safe and clean with no adware, spyware, or viruses.
http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

Last edited:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Those things scare me. It's probably spyware in disguise.

Just uninstall and disable as many unused services and applications as possible on your machine and your reliability will go through the roof.

Install Windows Defender and set it to auto-update and do nightly scans:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E7-DA2B-4A6A-AFA4-F7F14E605A0D&displaylang=en

If you get a lot of crap emails and like to download apps from the web then perhaps you should invest in a mainstream (i.e. Symantec) Anti-virus application. Make sure you subscribe to the auto-updates service for the anti-virus app so it is always up to date.

Skip the free trojan horse apps.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I read the review and thought what the heck. I would take one for all of you guys here and installed it. It did create a new restore point since it was the first time.

Even with having Spyblaster, Spybot and Adware it found all kinds of stuff wrong and fixed them. Well it said it did but do I notice any speed changes. Not really.

One thing it tells me I have some start up problems but it won't fix them but you can look at them and make changes to the start up programs. I don't want to touch any of them.

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I read the review and thought what the heck. I would take one for all of you guys here and installed it. It did create a new restore point since it was the first time.

Even with having Spyblaster, Spybot and Adware it found all kinds of stuff wrong and fixed them. Well it said it did but do I notice any speed changes. Not really.

One thing it tells me I have some start up problems but it won't fix them but you can look at them and make changes to the start up programs. I don't want to touch any of them.

murph

You'd get a better speed boost by uninstalling all the programs. With computer performance the mantra is "less is more".

Trash all that crap.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I am looking for additional input as to usage and success of these types of free programs.
For what you are trying to do, Ccleaner is the most recommended one I am aware of. They claim over 100 millon downloads so it's well tested.

I just Googled on Ccleaner before recommending it. There are a lot of favorable recommendations and a couple of threads where the user clearly didn't read the directions. Worst case, the user had run with System Restore turned off for months then did a Registry Clean and refused its offer to back up the registry before starting. Several posters pointed out his problem was user error, not the program.

I run this occasionally but it's never found anything significant.

I suggest Google it and read about it. I expect it is what you are looking for.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
You'd get a better speed boost by uninstalling all the programs. With computer performance the mantra is "less is more".

Trash all that crap.

What then is the most efficient way to protect yourself from spyware and viruses? Spybot and Adware only run when you ask them right?? Spyware blaster runs all the time and would slow a computer down and so would my anti-virus program.

But what is the best way?

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
What then is the most efficient way to protect yourself from spyware and viruses? Spybot and Adware only run when you ask them right?? Spyware blaster runs all the time and would slow a computer down and so would my anti-virus program.

But what is the best way?

murph

What do you want: performance improvement of spyware protection?

Every program you install adds an incremental load to your OS and will slow it down a bit. You should decide on a single product to run "all the time" and then just uninstall everything you don't use.

When was the last time you used your Add/Remove Programs Control Panel and cleaned out all the apps you don't use. Then run the Disk Cleanup app. Then defragment your drive. That should get you some form of performance enhancement.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
PBinWA;116669 When was the last time you used your Add/Remove Programs Control Panel and cleaned out all the apps you don't use. Then run the Disk Cleanup app. Then defragment your drive. That should get you some form of performance enhancement.[/quote said:
About every two weeks

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
What do you want: performance improvement of spyware protection?

Every program you install adds an incremental load to your OS and will slow it down a bit. You should decide on a single product to run "all the time" and then just uninstall everything you don't use.

When was the last time you used your Add/Remove Programs Control Panel and cleaned out all the apps you don't use. Then run the Disk Cleanup app. Then defragment your drive. That should get you some form of performance enhancement.

I run my add/remove as needed and agree on running the minimum amount of programing to accomplish the job. I am sure I am not as savvy as many others on computer operations but mine do work moderately well. Most of my problems orient around my satellite up link that I must use. This program covers several areas that people who are not savvy to computers may find useful and that is the reason I posted it. I am very careful what and how much I down load to my dinosaur computers.

Now if you would just change that damn avatar that you use we could take your comments seriously...:yum: Maybe....:yum:

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
I browsed the thread and can say ,"It Works GREAT without any SPY/AD ware or the like!!! It cleans the system up real good. I use several different programs like this and usually run them all to see what's left behind. ALL programs leave a little something behind and the others usually take care of them. Just my 2 cents worth (if it's even worth that) :thumb: