• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cellular MoDems

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a quick little thread on some of the cellular modems I've been using recently. This first one is made by AirLink and is called the Raven. It comes in four flavors...EDGE, iDEN, CDMA 1X, and GPRS. I use the EDGE with Cingular and the CDMA 1X with Verizon.

This unit acts exactly like an external 33.6KBaud serial modem, but just a little bit faster. 153.6 Kbps receive and 76.8 Kbps transmit. The only difference is that it has an antenna connection where you would normally have a telephone plug.

There is also an ethernet version of the Raven and a parallel line called the Pinpoint that includes a GPS receiver. Check 'em all out... AirLink Products

Attachments

• Serial GSM.JPG
    Serial GSM.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Another cellular modem I use is the Kyocera KPC650. This is PCMCIA card for laptops, etc. It is pretty darn fast, capable of data speeds of up to 2.4 Mbps on EVDO services, with typical download speeds of up to 400 - 700 kbps. The screenshot is what I clocked in Seattle whilst downloading OpenOffice and using the Verizon compression client. :thumb:
The last image is tonights speed test from DSLReports while I'm in Reno. Their speed tests can be found here DSLReports Speed Test

Attachments

• PCMCIA CDMA.JPG
    PCMCIA CDMA.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 57
  • PCMCIA Speed - Seattle.jpg
    PCMCIA Speed - Seattle.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 59
  • PCMCIA Speed.jpg
    PCMCIA Speed.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
And finally, my latest toy...the AirLink Raven X. My oh my oh my. This is one smokin' gizmo! The first speed test is while in Ely, NV. Anyone who knows Ely would be amazed that you could get that kind of speed out of that little towns cell system. The second speed test is in Reno. Has anyone ever seen such upload rates in a mobile device!?

Published data rates...
---------------------
EV-DO Rev. A:
Downlink - 3.1 Mbps max; 450 - 850 Kbps typical, Uplink - 1.8 Mbps max; 300 - 400 Kbps typical
EV-DO Rev. 0:
Downlink - 2.4 Mbps max; 300 - 500 Kbps typical, Uplink - 153.6 Kbps max; 60 - 90 Kbps typical
CDMA 1x:
Downlink - 153.6 Kbps max; 60 - 90 Kbps typical, Uplink - 153.6 Kbps max; 60 - 90 Kbps typical

Attachments

• Raven X Front.JPG
    Raven X Front.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Raven X Rear.JPG
    Raven X Rear.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Ether Speed - Ely.jpg
    Ether Speed - Ely.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Ether Speed - Reno.jpg
    Ether Speed - Reno.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
For this last picture, here is the Raven X hooked up to a wireless router. I'm using it this way in a hotel room right now and tomorrow it gets permanently wired into my truck. I will have a mobile hotspot with awesome upload speeds! Eventually I will have one in my snowcat as well. :thumb: These Airlink units are designed with mobile applications in mind and will run on 9-28VDC.

Attachments

• Raven X with WiFi Router.JPG
    Raven X with WiFi Router.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good thread Bob.
I have what they call an aircard. It is a simple USB connection, and that is all I need. It appears your setup requires more equiptment, but it also sounds like yours is faster than mine.
What tool did you use to capture the network stats? It looks like something I used to have called Net???????? I can't remember the name (getting older has that effect on me!).

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Your AirCard is about the same as my Kyocera. But it's the other two units that are really cool, especially the Raven X. Any computer, any weather station, any device with ethernet... just plug it in and you're on the internet just as if you were in the office.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Another cellular modem I use is the Kyocera KPC650. This is PCMCIA card for laptops, etc. It is pretty darn fast, capable of data speeds of up to 2.4 Mbps on EVDO services, with typical download speeds of up to 400 - 700 kbps. The screenshot is what I clocked in Seattle whilst downloading OpenOffice and using the Verizon compression client. :thumb:
The last image is tonights speed test from DSLReports while I'm in Reno. Their speed tests can be found here DSLReports Speed Test

Bob,

I have the KPC650 card and am tied in with Alltell. My speeds are only 256 down and 128 up. I am told that if I go to Verizon I can get the higher speeds and even better security. I just have to go down there someday and check it out.

murph

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe Alltel is also CDMA with EVDO and you should be able to get similar speeds as Verizon. You may just have a lower speed/rate plan or your not near a tower with EVDO.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Alltell which bought out Midwest Wireless only advertises the 256K. In fact Alltell told me if I wanted faster I would have to go to Verizon. Which I may do. The download of 256 if I would run at 256 would be ok but I never get the 256. And the upload of 128 really hurts me.

murph

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
What tool did you use to capture the network stats? It looks like something I used to have called Net???????? I can't remember the name (getting older has that effect on me!).

The first one with the screen capture was the Verizon Access Manager software. The rest were with the java applets at www.dslreports.com.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Help me understand what we're talking about here...

Is this equipment used with your cell phone provider and when in use, it's acting under your cell phone plan (burning minutes, roaming...)?

I have the capability to plug my cell phone into my PC and use my phone as the modem. It's a low-speed option that's free with Verizon. They do have a pay service you can attach to your plan that allows high-speed connections.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure what kind of plans doc and thcri have, but I know that you can attach these data cards to your regular cell bill, kinda like having an additional phone. You can also have a 'data only' plan with or without $/MB. It varies greatly by provider. We have a strictly 'data only' plan with a flat rate for unlimited access. I think the plan normally goes for ~$80/mon, but we've got a volume discount rate of ~$50/mon. I don't pay attention to the details when someone else is paying! :thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is also a dedicated data circuit. However the air card has a cell number assigned to it. It connects to a cellular tower with that number as the ID. The card will work with any computer with a USB port, but you would have to install the communication software. Mine runs $60 a month for unlimited access. It is an add on to my cell phone contract.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Ours also have phone numbers associated with them even though there is no way to make or take a telephone call with them. It's just the only way the phone companies seem to be able to manage accounts.