• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Battery Backup

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, I finally figured that my 9 year old battery backup....let's see...Belkin 525VA...seems to not work quite so well anymore. Suggestions for a decent battery backup?

I'd like it to run my computer, 19" flat panel monitor and, possibly, my printer if the power goes out. It always seems that when our power goes out I need to print something. My printer is....looking....a HP Laserjet 3380. So, what is a reasonable time to expect to have those things run? What price should I expect to pay? I don't want anything that is the size of my desk or anything. So, suggestions??

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I usually just buy the biggest APC backup I can stuff under my desk.

Belkin stuff always seems extra-cheap. I'm not sure if APC is any better but I have always been happy with their stuff.

I'm pretty sure they have an online configurator that will suggest what you need.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have used an APC for the last 10 years or so. The battery was finally replaced 2 years ago. Big sucker. I bought it real cheap at CompUsa Auctions site because it had locking type outlets built in, instead of normal ones. Now what electrician can't figure out how to make that work? Anyway, with the load that's on it, it will run me 15 mins. But I always shut down quicker than that. It will also protect the phone line, network and AC power from surges. If you're wanting to run the printer too, make sure you stay in the larger range, say 500va or larger.
Go here to see what might fit for you. You can order right off their site if I remember right.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
...network and AC power from surges...

Ah, ha!! Network was not a word that was spoken at my house when I last bought a backup/surge protector! I'm glad you mentioned that. My office is linked to my main house via underground conduits. It may not be a bad idea to have protection for the Cat. 5 cable as well. Thanks. :tiphat:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Huge ass marine deep cycle battery, 1500W inverter and a trickle charger/maintainer?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Huh? I've always had this, um, well, dislike of huge asses. Any other suggestions? Besides, I think I got slapped the last time I tried to invert her. The tickle charge sometimes works though...:tiphat:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most of the battery back up systems have replaceable batteries inside them. Before dumping your whole backup system, consider changing the internal batteries.

I have an old Belkin connected to my satellite ISP router and my WIFI unit. I replaced the batteries in it about a year or so ago. I run my TV sets, DVDs, VCRs, etc through APC UPC/Supressor units. You may want to have a supressor connected to your main power box, we had one put in a few years ago for additional lighting protection (the house gets hit by lightning a few times a year) and it has helped save a lot of the electronics.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd like it to run my computer, 19" flat panel monitor and, possibly, my printer if the power goes out. It always seems that when our power goes out I need to print something.
Brent,

If your power just went out, wouldn't you normally have more important things to do? When ours goes out, it's normally storm related and I wouldn't want to be on my PC anyway.

Anyway, it's my impression/understanding that a UPS is there for 2 reasons. Surge protection and a battery giving you enough time to shut things down properly in the event of power outage. I don't believe most UPS batteries are intended to be running your equipment for long durations. For large computer systems, they have banks of batteries but again, they're there to supply power until the generator(s) kick in.

OK, I have a APC UPS ES 725. It's about 4 years old and seems to work well (again, I normally shut my stuff down if there's weather conditions which may cause an outage).

Something I just found out about mine but it may be something to watch on all units. Mine has 8 AC plug outlets. Only 4 have battery backup. The other 4 have surge protection only. Be careful where you plug things in...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent,

I don't believe most UPS batteries are intended to be running your equipment for long durations.

That is my understanding also. I can get 20 minutes max out of mine, it's an APC "BACK-UPS-ES 500" unit (about the size of a shoe box). My power will go out on a sunny day just as often as it goes off during a storm. Either way if you are working on something you need for the next business day you would have time to print it out but once you've done that you'd best shut things down while you can. As the UPS's age they will not stay up as long as when new.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bc & Doc . . . I'm with you guys. The battery back up is there to manage surges and to keep the TVs up and running during those "30 second" power failures, but other than that, if the power goes down for real then the battery back up really only needs to run something until I either shut it down, or until I fire up the generator. My generator is not an "auto on" deal, so I have to get my lazy behind downstairs, flip a switch on the panel and then go to the garage to turn the key to fire it up. I only use it if it looks like the power will stay out for a while. I have several of the APC "BACK-UPS-ES 350" units. It is easy to find them on sale. They are great for short durations, but I don't count on them to actually keep things powered for long. I also have two larger units in the house on the big HDTV systems, but again, they are there not so much to run them during an outage but to save them.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I have always used APC and they have been reliable. I have had to change batteries in them after years of use.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have always used APC and they have been reliable. I have had to change batteries in them after years of use.

I have a pair of APC Smart 700's. They've been plugged in and operational for over 12 years. I put the 3rd set of batteries in last year.

Jim

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent,
Take a good look at what APC offers. You can even get UP to 35% off a new one by trading in your old one, which they recycle properly.