• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

MS-DOS 5 is here!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PCTools is a better file manager. I use(d) DOS for PC config only ...... :yum:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Any old-timers here?
BTDT, but I think only the mac pushers were as fanatical as that video!

I even was designated to make a presentation (not like that one!) to my fellow employees introducing Dos5.

It's amazing anyone got any work done back in those days - it seemed to take an hour of setup and tuning for every hour of productive use. But any sort of pc was so much more productive than hand-push that it was worth it.

PCTools is a better file manager. I use(d) DOS for PC config only
Yeah. It took a handfull of third-party tools to build a productive system before MS bought (or stole) things like defrag and disk compression to make their systems complete.

There wasn't any file manager beyond 'dir' (list my files) in the first several releases of Dos.

To have a complete and manageable OS, the PC Mag utilities were essential plus Norton Utilities. (or clunky shareware equivalents)