• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mailer viruses - How to protect your address book.

richfolkes

Hello.

For those who get the occasional email virus, which your computer is constantly sending out emails and you cannot run certain programs in Windows such as regedit.exe, notepad.exe cmd.exe and so on. There is a way to protect those on your address book from getting the virus.

When a computer is infected with a mailer virus, the virus searches through the address book or contacts list on your email client and automatically sends an email to each person on your contact list. Doesn't matter if you are using Outlook Express, Eudora, Incredimail, Office Outlook (all versions).

The heading in the subject may be something like "Wicked new Screen Saver", Hot pics, Cool wallpaper, and so forth. The body text in the email itself is invariably written in SMS type language, such as "Baby, I got smthng rlly spcial 4U. Dis scrnsvr dsnt comp3r 2 anythng ls! 4 all da DV8's in ur town it is XLNT."

And when you open the attachment, you end up with the virus. And then it propagates to other computers via email.

And to protect yourself, if you receive an email from somebody you know, and it contains content which is inconsistent with the content that the person usually places in his or her email. Then don't touch the attachment. And when I say that I don't mean touch it after a while. I mean Don't touch it. Don't even think about touching it. Don't even sing about touching it. Don't even think about singing about touching it. Delete the email at once.

To protect your contacts, place a dummy address at the beginning of your contact list. For example, 111111aaaaaah. And should your computer become infected, this is the first one the virus will look at and since it is not a valid address, the virus will stop sending emails.

Hence, you prevent the virus from propagating itself to others on your address book.

And now that you've protected your friends and loved ones on your contacts, you can now concentrate on removing the virus.

Safe computing everyone.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
The best way to protect yourself and your friends from virus's is to have a good virus protection program on your computer that scans both incoming and outgoing mail. I use AVG, and haven't had a virus problem since, and my computer is faster than when I used Norton.....

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Or ... you could use web mail (yahoo, gmail etc....) and keep your friends and family email contact info on your PC. Another option would be Mozilla Thunderbird. It's a free email program much like MS Outlook. I haven't heard of the viruses working with Thunderbrid ....at least not yet.

richfolkes

Junkman said:
I use AVG, and haven't had a virus problem since, and my computer is faster than when I used Norton

Which is why I don't put Norton on anything less than a high ranking Pentium 4 or Athlon 3000+ with 1 Gig or more of RAM and a hard drive with at least 80 Gig. Preferably, a Core 2 Duo or Athlon 64x2 with a pair of 320 Gig hard drives and 2 Gig of RAM (SLi or CrossFire all the better). All the rest get AVG and Zone Alarm.

If you have the misfortune of being infected with a mailer virus, an invalid address prevents the virus from mailing out.

I dealt with a laptop infected with such a virus and used the online scan found on the Symantec website to identify it and when that was done, I dealt with it.