• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

malware virus

working woman

Site Supporter
This one is for real - do not open any emails about recieving postcards or greetings from a friend etc. Just delete the whole email. My inbox has been inundated with emails saying a friend, neighbor, calssmate, admirer has sent a greeting, postcard, card etc. from Bluemountain, Postcard. com etc, etc, etc.
Anybody else been getting these?
[FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I verified real at http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp [/FONT]
[FONT=Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif][/FONT]

PLEASE look out....

A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft ! as the most destructive ever. This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee . This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored.

This virus acts in the following manner:
It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title:

"A Card for You".

As soon as the
supposed virtual card is opened the computer freezes so
that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+ del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York , according to news broadcast by CNN.

This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itse lf.

So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual Card for You." As soon as you get the mail, delete it !! Even if
you know the sender !!!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
That's interesting, I was getting them over two weeks ago. I never opened them because I really never ever get cards from anyone and when I see a foreign email address such as the *.UK extension I stay away.

Thank God I did just delete them.

murph

working woman

Site Supporter
That's interesting, I was getting them over two weeks ago. I never opened them because I really never ever get cards from anyone and when I see a foreign email address such as the *.UK extension I stay away.

Thank God I did just delete them.

murph

I'm averaging about four a day. Any idea how to put a stop to them?

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've gotten hundreds of those things in the past few weeks.
Thunderbird has learned that they are "junk" and 99% go directly to the junk folder. If they ever come up with a "self-opening" file to transmit the virus with we'll be up the creek!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm averaging about four a day. Any idea how to put a stop to them?

About the only thing you can do is change your email address and then within ten days they have your new address. Just don't open them. Delete them and make sure you have a good anti-virus program.

murph