• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

System Restore setting to gain hard drive space

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got this tip via email. Sounds like it could be a useful one to anyone low on hard drive space.

------
Want a larger hard drive? For free? Here's how: tame System Restore. Its default setting eats up 12% of your hard drive with restore points so you waste 10gigs of your 100gigabyte hard drive. Since a restore point is about 50MB, that's 200 days worth! (Personally, I can't remember getting any restore point more than a few days old to work at all.) Here's how to fix this waste of space: go to the Control Panel > System > System Restore tab and move the slider to about 1,000MB or less. Now fill all that free space up with something useful!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc, got me about 6 gb back.

You ever used "format c:/s" to recover space on your hard drive?

Jim

PS: Not for the light hearted "format c: /s" will erase everything on your hard drive except the OS. This was meant as a JOKE.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You ever used "format c:/s" to recover space on your hard drive?
OK, I'm now on my backup PC.
I did that format c:/s command and it asked me if I was sure. I said YES since I want my space back.

I now have all my space back. :applause: :applause:

Uh oh... :4_11_9: How do I get things back?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc, I got 4% back. It helped a lot cause I was down to 80% system resources.
Mike