• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone else getting buried w/ new spam that has .pdf attached?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
In the last couple of months I've started getting absolutely buried with spam that I've never seen before. These emails all come from different email addresses, so I can't block the sender's address or provider and they all simply have the sender's name and some attached .pdf. I assume that there are a lot of people infected with some virus sending out these emails, but I have never heard of any of these people and it's getting far worse. Just last night, from 11pm to 7am, I received nearly 40 of these damn things! :mad:

I've installed new spam filters on my PC's that are effectively blocking all of them, but it is also blocking legit emails since I have to enter each person sending me a legitimate .pdf into a "safelist". The problem that really pisses me off is that there is no way I can install a spam filter on my iPhone and I have to spend 5 minutes or more each morning deleting all these damn spam emails! I've never once opened one of the .pdf's, so I have no idea what they are, nor do I care.

Add these damn spam emails to the dozens of stinking penny stock spam emails and it's really pissing me off! Six months ago I maybe got one spam a day, now it's probably over 50 a day with these new damn .pdf spam pieces. Anyone else getting these? I have not read about any widespread issue.

*edit*

I did just find this article about those .pdf spam emails that are hitting by the hundreds .pdf spamming now hitting

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I noticed these a couple weeks ago. It seems like every 4-6 months, the assho...errr...spammers figure out a new method, and it takes a while for everyone to figure out how to block them. Then it's quiet for a couple months until they figure out another method.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, I'm getting them also.

I've also been getting a lot of spam saying I've received an ecard (online greeting card). They're just as annoying but no PDF attached.

I also get the penny stock, Viagara, Canadian Pharmacy and a bunch of other crap.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Me to. I'm getting both the .pdf ones and all types of greeting card ones. Spam is ruining Emails usefulness.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Honestly, between Gmail and Outlook - I don't really get much spam. Every so often something will start to get through but it seems eventually Gmail catches up with it.

My work email is pretty good and it isn't Gmail.

Of course, now I'm going to start getting tons of junkmail. ;)

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use Thunderbird and it catches most of the spam. I've not been deluged with the pdf variety but have seen a few. Like BZ, several a day of the ecard, the penny stock, Viagara, Canadian Pharmacy, etc.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I've gotten about a dozen damn .pdf emails since I posted an hour or two earlier! My spam filters on my PC's are catching all of them, but it's really pissing me off to have to dump a dozen or two emails every time I pick up my phone! So far, I don't see any possible way to use a spam filter on a damn iPhone. :mad:

Besides, who in the f*** would EVER buy a damn thing from a spam email?! They've long ago pissed me off so bad that I won't even buy anything from a company that I've seen use spam regardless of what it is!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, I can't seem to get an effective spam filter on my Treo smartphone either. If you find a good solution for spam filters on smartphones, I'd love to hear it.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Does your ISP offer spam filtering at your mailbox? Sometimes they have settings where you can set it to be more aggressive.

Just a thought.

PB

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Does your ISP offer spam filtering at your mailbox? Sometimes they have settings where you can set it to be more aggressive.

Just a thought.

PB

Great idea. Unfortunately my back-woods provider has such a service but not for an Vista machine or any Mac machine. :mad:

Three more damn .pdf spams in the last 5 minutes!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know how well or how long it works but I've found my e-mail identities that have a long string prior to the @ get a lot less spam than my shorter ones.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Great idea. Unfortunately my back-woods provider has such a service but not for an Vista machine or any Mac machine. :mad:

Three more damn .pdf spams in the last 5 minutes!!

Your backwoods provider should be catching those at the incoming mail server. It shouldn't matter what OS you are running.

If they offer IMAP service you should use that. I'm not sure about the iPhone but most other mail apps support IMAP. With IMAP you can filter the mail on the server and your computer just downloads the filtered "good" stuff.

You should just switch to GMail and either configure GMail to check your backwoods provider or see if your provider has mail forwarding functionality.

PB

humor_me

Honestly, between Gmail and Outlook - I don't really get much spam. Every so often something will start to get through but it seems eventually Gmail catches up with it.

My work email is pretty good and it isn't Gmail.
;)

I'm really impressed with gmail.
Compared to the hotmail it is a hands down winner. I get 20 or so everyday in my hotmail, you know the junk -- lose this, survey that, enlarge that, try that, FREE this - click here, confirm your loan:yum:

but gmail, maybe five or so in a MONTH!:thumb: